Rockwell - Wake UP! FT View ME Studio v12 Is Slower than molasses in January

celichi

Lifetime Supporting Member
Hello Everybody@PLCTALK!

Has anyone else noticed how SLOW and unusable Factory Talk View Studio Me has become with version 12?

It is taking > 20 minutes to create an MER.

To me this is unacceptable, and I will be pushing to move our equipment away from this product line.

I have created several tickets and escalated, to no avail, I guess they don't care, to Technical Services is not communicating to Engineering.

Right now it is a toss up between Ignition and SE.

Rockwell - you are losing customers because no one has 20 minutes to spare to make a change on an HMI.

Hello Everybody@PLCTALK!

Has anyone else noticed how SLOW and unusable Factory Talk View Studio Me has become with version 12?

It is taking > 20 minutes to create an MER.

To me this is unacceptable, and I will be pushing to move our equipment away from this product line.

I have created several tickets and escalated, to no avail, I guess they don't care, to Technical Services is not communicating to Engineering.

Right now it is a toss up between Ignition and SE.

Rockwell - you are losing customers because no one has 20 minutes to spare to make a change on an HMI.

If you ran a stop watch and it was truly 20 minutes, that is obscene. I'm not happy with 3 minutes. What could possible be going on that would require 3 minutes to generate that file? 3 minutes is a lot of processor time to generate 1 file that is several megabytes. It's not like we're transcoding 4k video here.

We're still on v10 because there is no compelling reason to put the effort into upgrading 20+ machines. It's slower than I think it should be for v10 as well. It's absolutely maddening that you cannot create more than 1 at a time.

I have a customer with 12 unique applications, where they wanted the same changes to all of them. I can make the change much faster than it can make the MER. If I could compile more than one at a time, I could save a lot of time. But I can't, for some dumb reason.

If you ran a stop watch and it was truly 20 minutes, that is obscene. I'm not happy with 3 minutes. What could possible be going on that would require 3 minutes to generate that file? 3 minutes is a lot of processor time to generate 1 file that is several megabytes. It's not like we're transcoding 4k video here.

We're still on v10 because there is no compelling reason to put the effort into upgrading 20+ machines. It's slower than I think it should be for v10 as well. It's absolutely maddening that you cannot create more than 1 at a time.

I have a customer with 12 unique applications, where they wanted the same changes to all of them. I can make the change much faster than it can make the MER. If I could compile more than one at a time, I could save a lot of time. But I can't, for some dumb reason.

3 minutes would be okay, I could live with that.

Yes, I have timed many times, made videos, and showed everyone at Rockwell except maybe Mr. Moret < does anyone have his email address?? >.

I have done some pretty heavy diagnostics for Rockwell on my computer, and when they create the MER on thier machines, same result, even longer on some of the PCs Rockwell tried.

I have tried changing to Real Time as well.

PC is not being taxed, CPU is 10-30% during this process, lots of RAM, lots of resources, i9, 64 MB ram, SSD etc blah blah blah.

The software is a dog, and I can't afford to use it anymore.

IT will be better to convert to SE or Ignition at this point.

I would not use a PVP for anymore than 20 screens, NO PAX!!!!!

Rockwell's answer to me is that I should not have used PanelView Plus for my application. They said my application is too big.

I have not hit any tag or screen limits, and performance is good, updates fine.

When I asked them why their base Plant PAx template is bigger than my project, and why they would tell me this, when I can download PAx examples and templates that are much larger than my application with every single popup and global object in the template --> crickets....

I should also mention that I believe the FT View ME Studio is not developed in the USA anymore in Milwaukee, I believe is it now developed off shore as I have been told that and I have had to wait for every response next day.

This has been going on for months, and I can not troubleshoot Rockwell's software anymore, that should be their job, not their customers.

Could you use Ver. 11? I've used it for without much issue, 3 mins for Mer creation like 10, but a little better than 10 for some things. I have not tried to go to the most recent releases, try to stay one behind.

That is amazing, I'm sure it goes through 4 assistants and a coordinator before he gets it?

You know I have been using Rockwell since AB 6200 AI 6200 ICOM ROCKSOFT.

I remember DLs to PLC5 in early Windows taking 25 -60 minutes.

What has changed?

I am sorry for getting frustrated, but when you are constantly under deadlines, and the tools you are given (that we pay BIG money for) are ALWAYS problematic.

IT gets to ya after 30 years.

Best thing we have done as an integrator is drop RSView and use Ignition. You can buy a single license and Touchscreen PC for way cheaper then a PV+.

Used SE / ME since the early days and it didn't work back then. I remember using 3.1 in a distributed environment and RW came to site and couldn't get it to work so gave us free standalone licenses (That was their fix), that plant was a bear to work on with 20 standalone clients - but only way to get it to work.

This post reminds me why we won't use it anymore for any new projects.

Hmm, can't say I have seen any noticeable difference creating runtimes between versions 10/11/12. If it was 10-60 seconds different, it wasn't enough that I noticed.

I'm wondering if this is unique to your one specific application (or variants of that one app) or if you see this in every application, even those that are completely different.

Something I would look at, just for curiosity, is how long does it take to restore a runtime. Use the ME Application Manager to create a new application from the MER. Does that also take an excessive amount of time? Then, once that new application has been created, try creating a runtime from that. Do we see any improvement?

Also, when you are creating your runtime, are you creating it as a v12? What happens if you create it as an earlier version? Do you have access to a machine with v11? Can you do a side-by-side comparison to show runtime creation of the same application?

You've got me curious now. I'm going to try just that. I've got a VM with 11 and another with 12. We'll see what the differences are.

OG

Hmm, can't say I have seen any noticeable difference creating runtimes between versions 10/11/12. If it was 10-60 seconds different, it wasn't enough that I noticed.

I'm wondering if this is unique to your one specific application (or variants of that one app) or if you see this in every application, even those that are completely different.

Something I would look at, just for curiosity, is how long does it take to restore a runtime. Use the ME Application Manager to create a new application from the MER. Does that also take an excessive amount of time? Then, once that new application has been created, try creating a runtime from that. Do we see any improvement?

Also, when you are creating your runtime, are you creating it as a v12? What happens if you create it as an earlier version? Do you have access to a machine with v11? Can you do a side-by-side comparison to show runtime creation of the same application?

You've got me curious now. I'm going to try just that. I've got a VM with 11 and another with 12. We'll see what the differences are.

OG

Thank you for adding to this.

I wonder if it is the Dual Language, I have French and English set up.

I will run your tests, but I can not right now. Will be later, and I am creating a reminder to not forget.

Best thing we have done as an integrator is drop RSView and use Ignition. You can buy a single license and Touchscreen PC for way cheaper then a PV+.

Used SE / ME since the early days and it didn't work back then. I remember using 3.1 in a distributed environment and RW came to site and couldn't get it to work so gave us free standalone licenses (That was their fix), that plant was a bear to work on with 20 standalone clients - but only way to get it to work.

This post reminds me why we won't use it anymore for any new projects.

We are there for ME as of today, commercial has been instructed no more new projects will be ME, unless spec call specifically for ME/PVP, there would have to be a huge adder to go to ME to compensate for testing and development time, and to nudge towards SE ATM.

PanelView is dead afaiac.

Ignition really has me interested because it combines many features into one (IIOT, SCADA, HIST...), however, they are not setup for OEM pricing, and that is a bit of a hurdle.

Last edited: