Rosemount 8712 Transmitter

Controls Tech

Hello everyone, I am working with a 8705 flow element mounted to a 8712 remote mount transmitter. From my previous experience with Rosemount transmitters we always connected the field communicator directly to the element that had the transmitter integrated into it to get the parameters, I assume I connect to the 8712 transmitter to get the parameters from the element, and is this even necessary with the remote transmitters if just replacing the flow element itself? Thanks in advance.

Last edited:
Three things:

It appears that the Sensor Calibration Number is critical is accuracy is a consideration.

And I'd probably run a Sensor re-signature so it has values for the replacement flow tube.

And I'd enter the flow tube serial number so it can be found in the transmitter's data base.

Captures from the 8712 manual:

The Basic Set-up includes PV Sensor Calibration Number (page 3-12) on pg 27

"1.Verify that the correct sensor calibration number is entered in the transmitter. The calibration number is listed on the sensor nameplate.

2.Verify that the correct sensor line size is entered in the transmitter. The line size value is listed on the sensor nameplate."

Tube Cal No. Identifies the calibration number when using Rosemount sensors, or other manufacturers’ sensors calibrated at the Rosemount factory

Tube Size Specifies the sensor size and identifies the corresponding maximum flow (0.1 - through 80-inch line sizes)

Calibration Number
The sensor calibration number is a 16-digit number used to identify sensors calibrated at the Rosemount factory. The calibration number is also printed inside the sensor terminal block or on the sensor name plate. The number provides detailed calibration information to the Rosemount 8712. To function properly within accuracy specifications, the number stored in the transmitter must match the calibration number on the sensor exactly.NOTESensors from manufacturers other than Rosemount Inc. can also be calibrated at the Rosemount factory. Check the sensor for Rosemount calibration tags to determine if a 16-digit calibration number exists for your sensor.NOTEBe sure the calibration number reflects a calibration to a Rosemount reference transmitter. If the calibration number was generated by a means other than a certified Rosemount flow lab, accuracy of the system may be compromised.If your sensor is not a Rosemount sensor and was not calibrated at the Rosemount factory, contact your Rosemount representative for assistance.If your sensor is imprinted with an eight-digit number or a k-factor, check in the sensor wiring compartment for the sixteen-digit calibration number. If there is no serial number, contact the factory for a proper conversion

Auxiliary Functions
- Re-signature Sensor Base line sensor characteristics

- Recall Last Signature Recall previous signature values

- Universal Auto Trim In-process Sensor Calibration

- Auto Zero Zero Sensor for 37 Hz Coil Drive Operation

Sensor Signature
The sensor signature describes the sensor characteristics to the transmitter and is an integral part of the sensor meter verification test. From this menu you can view the current stored signature, have the transmitter take and store the sensor signature, or re-call the last saved good values for the sensor signature. For more details on this parameter see Appendix C: "Diagnostics".

Re-Signature Meter
Have the transmitter measure and store the sensor signature values. These values will then be used as the baseline for the meter verification test. Use this when connecting to older Rosemount or another manufacturers sensors, or installing the magnetic flowmeter system for the first time. For more details on this parameter see Appendix C: "Diagnostics"

Trims
Trims are used to calibrate the analog loop, calibrate the transmitter, re-zero the transmitter, and calibrate the transmitter with another manufacturer’s sensor. Proceed with caution whenever performing a trim function

If your Rosemount sensor has a 16-digit calibration number, in-process calibration is not required.

Sensor Serial Number
The PV sensor serial number is the serial number of the sensor connected to the transmitter and can be stored in the transmitter configuration for future reference. The number provides easy identification if the sensor needs servicing or for other purposes.