rs logix 500 Compute instruction

bfranklin

PLC: Compact Logic 1100 series b
RS Logix 500: version 8.40

Issue: No compute Instruction, it is greyed out and I can't use it.

Why?

Thanks

I'll assume you mean MicroLogix 1100. Obviously it means the instruction isn't available. The help file shows that the Micrologix 1400 has it. Are you having difficulty deciding how to perform the math using just the math instructions available?

yes I meant mircologix 1100. I was just wondering why it isn't available? I have no difficulty performing math instructions. I was just curious.

You'll have to ask Rockwell. For some silly reason someone there thinks it's a good idea to dumb down their bricks, it has the processor power to do it.

I doubt that the presence of CPT is something that customers regularly take into consideration when choosing the platform, so dumbing down the brick is of dubious value in driving sales of the flagship product. The user still can do the computation, its just takes more steps to program it. In the end they only inconvenience their customers. Meanwhile, the competition smartens up its bricks. I just think is a shortsighted decision.

I know you may be looking at it from the viewpoint of a hardware supplier (excellent hardware I might add, I've been nothing but pleased with the RMC controllers we have, well done), but I'm looking at it from the viewpoint of a customer.

Last edited:
In the end they only inconvenience their customers. Meanwhile, the competition smartens up its bricks. I just think is a shortsighted decision.
Right on target. (y)