RS Logix 5000 starts in grace period mode, even though it is activated

AlfredoQuintero

Lifetime Supporting Member
Hello. Why is my RSLogix 5000 start in grace period mode, even though I have a valid license? I also think I have a decently recent FT Activation Manager.
Recently I installed the latest Windows 10 patch. May this be the reason?
1714437756139.png

What version project are you trying to open?

We had to purchase a legacy license to activate V20 or older. Also, I noticed your support expires is n/a. Are you trying to open a project that is newer than what you are licensed for? I would definitely call Rockwell support. Thier licensing is very complicated.

What version project are you trying to open?

We had to purchase a legacy license to activate V20 or older.
According to the license ordering guide v20.05 does not require a legacy license, ie the highest possible revision that still uses RSLogix 5000 rather than Studio. Anything older will require the legacy version though.

The window in the background sure looks like the newer gui for Studio 5000, not Logix though which would obviously make that a non-issue; of course that window could be entirely unrelated. The license name also makes me think it predates them splitting off 'legacy' in which case I believe it is functionally treated as a legacy license.

I agree that an immediate question to ask is 'what version are you trying to open?' along with 'does this occur with all versions?'

There was an issue with activations caused by installing an early v30 release, but iirc they resolved it in fairly short order so I am doubtful that is what's going on here. Unfortunately the KB article on it seems to have been disappeared, though the information from it is still available in a thread on mrplc.

My general recommendation would be to start by updating to the newest FT Activation Manager. That might potentially fix an issue caused by a Windows patch.

Beyond that... Rockwell activation support is free, so give them a ring.