rs232 to slc5/04

RY_Guthrie

ok heres the problem, I used a rs232 to slc5/04 this morning, no problems, this afternoon it wont auto config? has any body ever ran into this problem before? Can it be my rs232 driver is corrupted? Tried different cables, null modems, plcs rebooted and re-installed the df-1 driver several times. Its almost a brand new computer (2 weeks old) Any suggestions?

i selected slc in the box, and i made no edits and it will not auto config the df-1 driver now, and i have tried several different plcs. also i can connect with my express card through the pcm slot using the df-1 driver

only running one df-1 driver and deleted and re-installed it several times. im kinda thinking that either the serial port driver got corrupted or the port itself quit? has anyone ever had the slc damage a serial port? or lock it up?

I do have a 1747-uic cable if need be, but love the simplicity of the serial port and the df-1 driver. Is there a way to test a serial port besides in device manager? Maybe a hard ware device you plug into it to test the port?

On an SLC 5/04 the top port is a 3 pin plug used for DH+
The port below it is a round plug with I think 8 pins which is also DH+ this plug can have an adapter plugged into it going from round plug to 9 pin D Shell which can make it look like a serial port

The bottom port is the serial port for RS232 which is a 9 pin D Shell this cable to a serial port on a computer is a Null modem cable

Is there a way to test a serial port besides in device manager? Maybe a hard ware device you plug into it to test the port?
Easy to test the physical port. Google 'serial loopback' for info. I doubt that's the problem, but it can't hurt to check... :confused:

🍻

-Eric

Ensure the com port shown in the DF1 driver matches the com port # in
device manager. Select CRC error checking in the DF1 driver. Delete the
DF1 driver, then SHUT DOWN and EXIT RSLinx using the file menu option.
Restart RSLinx, and recreate a new DF1 driver. Go to the com port in
question in device manager, ensure that the device is working properly
under Device Status on the general tab. On the port settings tab, click
the advanced button, check the Use FIFO buffers box, and move the
receive and transmit buffer sliders all the way to the left (low).

Sometimes Windows 7 will uninstall your com port if you hibernate your PC, I have it happen all the time and all you need to do is restart the PC

When you try and auto configure what error are you getting? does it scan and not find, com port error, BCC, nack time out?

Don't use the UIC unless you have configured the port to DH485 or it was just a type o and should of been USB not UIC

Yes I have blown up a few ports USB and serial... but that was just me trying new things, I have never seen one blow up with just normal COM's

I made a few YouTube videos and it may help... its for a USB so just skip the first part (but it sounds like you are doing it correct anyway) see the CP3/PM02 one http://www.ind-concepts.com/Support_and_Downloads.htm

Hope this helps..