RS485 (Modbus RTU) monitor advice sought

FTE versus Stratus

I haven't tried exactly what you're looking for, but agree that on-the-fly decoding is where FTE earns their money.

Agreed. Actually, I just had my counterpart in one of our other facilities overnight me his RS422/485 SerialTest adapter since it doesn't look like this will be easy to figure out.

I think SerialTest does work with the FTE edition of the VersaTap; there's custom firmware in that one. My VersaTap and EZ-Tap are ordinary stock units from Stratus.

I have the FTE software installed since I sometimes borrow our other plant's adapters, but it definitely doesn't work with the Versa-Tap as is. And I don't have a USB sniffer to see what it's checking for. :)

One method you might use until you develop the ability to decode Modbus in raw hex on sight is the handy (and free of charge) Chipkin Automation Systems Modbus RTU Parser utility. You give it a string of hex, it returns a plain-English Modbus command description.

http://www.chipkin.com/technical-resources/cas-modbus-rtu-parser/

True, something like that might work.

I can decode most simple modbus messages by eye (over ten years ago, I wrote a Modbus/TCP interface for Linux) but I'm trying to troubleshoot an intermittient problem where I think that one of the twelve devices on my modbus chain isn't responding properly, or something similar. With Serial Test, it would show if there were retransmits or NAKs in the Modbus communications. I really don't want to pick through fifteen minutes of Modbus messages by hand. That's why I'm borrowing the other Plant's Serial Test setup. (y)

The other issue that I had, is that when I first logged the data, it was all under one timestamp. As in, every message jammed together! By default, Docklight Scripting only does a line/break and timestamp when it changes from Rx to Tx, but since I'm monitoring two-wire half-duplex communication and we never get data on the other line, it never put in a new line or timestamp. There is an option to detect a pause, so I need to try that as shown here.

docklight_timestamp_option.png