RS5000 controlling ABB Robot EtherNet/IP

timryder

Hey does anyone have any sample logic created for controlling an ABB Robot from RS-5000 using EtherNet/IP?

I have several routines that I need to call periodically in the robot and I'm just looking for a good communication structure to handle it.

I'm also looking for something similar. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

I ended up writing my own entire protocol from scratch from Control Logix PLC to an ABB IRC5 basic controller.

What do you need help with I can answer anything you need or show you some sample code. Mines been running now for months flawlessly.

Hi timryder,

First of all, thank you for replying and offering to help me out.

I'm at the beginning of a project and I'm researching how I can communicate to the ABB Robot via RSLogix5000 with either a compact logix or control logix processor. This robot is intended to run various motion profiles (recipes) based on which part that is currently running on the line. I would like to send this information via Ethernet.

Information sent to the Robot would be something like:
Run Recipe X
Run Recipe Y
Move to Position Z
etc.

Information that I would like to receive back would be:
Ready
Running (possibly have "Running recipe X")
Recipe X Complete or Done
Recipe X move Part 1 Complete
etc.

If you have anything similar to that or really anything at all. I just don't want to start from scratch if I don't have to.

Yeah this is very easy.

How much ABB knowledge do you have?
How comprehensive are you in RSLogix5000?

I have an existing project that does all of this and I can send it to you Monday. It will work with compact or control logix over EtherNet/IP so your choice.

Just give me an idea on your ABB skills so I can either describe that or convert a robot backup to txt for u.

ABB knowledge is zero. But I plan to attend some training classes.

My RSLOGIX5000 knowledge is strong with gantry motion, conveyor, fluid and other various types of controls. No issues there.

It's my first time interfacing with a Robot of any kind. I haven't found anything on the Web to help guide me through this process yet.

Again, thank you for your help!

Yeah this is very easy.

How much ABB knowledge do you have?
How comprehensive are you in RSLogix5000?

I have an existing project that does all of this and I can send it to you Monday. It will work with compact or control logix over EtherNet/IP so your choice.

Just give me an idea on your ABB skills so I can either describe that or convert a robot backup to txt for u.

Hi Timryder
Please send me a copy of the sample code you have.
I have a lot of experience with CLX and Fanuc robots.
But first time with ABB.
Thanks in advance

If you can't directly control the robot, most robots also have I/O which you can tap into with relays controlled by your PLC. Turn the relay on or off with your PLC and have the robot perform the action associated with the relay.