RSEnergyMetrix Communication

Abdul03

Hello Everyone,

I am working on a project where I am reading and writing data to and from the compactlogix L35E processor and the server is RSEnergyMetrix. However, the problem what I am facing is communicating with the processor form RSEnergyMetrix server. I have configured the driver using RSLinx. However, when I looked in to the RSLinx, after creating a communiction driver, the RSLinx does not recognise the device as (1769) compactlogix processor,instead it gives a name as 1756. I have attached an scren shot from RSLinx. Please have a look at the attached file.

However, if I try to access the same processor from a different PC or Laptop, I can easily communicate with the compactlogix processor.
Another point could be useful in determining the solution, the operating system is Windows2008 R2 server.

If anybody out there could help me out with this issue, that would be really appreciated.

Thank you.

You need to download and register the EDS files for your CompactLogix.

You can get the files from the RA EDS server:

http://www.rockwellautomation.com/rockwellautomation/support/networks/eds.page?

Register them using the RSLinx Hardware Installation Tool utility. Don't just put them into the RSCommon/EDS folder manually.

You might need an EDS for the CompactLogix backplane as well as for the CompactLogix CPU.

RSLinx shows a generic "1756 module" when it doesn't have an EDS file to tell it the identity of a device on the network. The 1756 bulletin number can be confusing, but that placeholder icon and term was created years ago, when all Logix-family controllers were in the 1756 family.

Hi Ken,

Thank you for the information, I have managed to solve the issue by updating the necessary EDS files. However, I still have a small issue in communicating RSEnergyMetrix with the controller. The error is something like this "Connection Failed - cannot create or open a memory file mapping". If you have any idea, could you please help me out, much appreciated.

Thank you once again for your time.

You need to download and register the EDS files for your CompactLogix.

You can get the files from the RA EDS server:

http://www.rockwellautomation.com/rockwellautomation/support/networks/eds.page?

Register them using the RSLinx Hardware Installation Tool utility. Don't just put them into the RSCommon/EDS folder manually.

You might need an EDS for the CompactLogix backplane as well as for the CompactLogix CPU.

RSLinx shows a generic "1756 module" when it doesn't have an EDS file to tell it the identity of a device on the network. The 1756 bulletin number can be confusing, but that placeholder icon and term was created years ago, when all Logix-family controllers were in the 1756 family.
Hi Ken,

Thanks for your help, I have managed to sort out the problem.
Thank you once again for your help.