Rslinx classic V3.8, Ethernet/IP Driver not working

Nigasai

Hello,

Any help!

My Rslinx classic with version 3.8, Ethernet /IP Driver cannot detect anything within the network, but using the ethernet devices driver and key in manually all the nodes within the network, everything works okay.

Cheers,
Ganie

One thing that I found is that if I have multiple Ethernet adapters (wired, wireless, USB dongle...) I will sometimes need to manually select the proper adapter from the Ethernet/IP driver configuration. The "Windows Default" selection doesn't always work.

One thing that I found is that if I have multiple Ethernet adapters (wired, wireless, USB dongle...) I will sometimes need to manually select the proper adapter from the Ethernet/IP driver configuration. The "Windows Default" selection doesn't always work.

if i used ethernet devices driver and manually key in the target IP address, everything works fine. which setting should i check if "windows Default" is set?

If you're using a wired connection you will want to select that adapter. It should have an IP address in the column beside the name listing the current IP address of the adapter. This should match up with your destination network.

If you're using a wired connection you will want to select that adapter. It should have an IP address in the column beside the name listing the current IP address of the adapter. This should match up with your destination network.

Yes, Ip config matches with the network because using the rslinx Ethernet Devices driver i can access each device by manually entering their individual Ip address.

Ok, forget about the Ethernet Devices driver. Yes, we know it works. That has nothing to do with what we are telling you.

If your computer has two Ethernet adapters (for example wired and wireless) with completely different IP address ranges the Ethernet Devices driver looks at the IP address of the PLC and determines which Ethernet adapter on your computer it should use to reach that PLC. For example, assume you manually typed in the following two SLC 500 IP addresses:

SLC500 #1 = 192.168.1.15
SLC500 #2 = 10.0.0.5

And your computer uses the following two adapters and addresses:

Adapter A = 192.168.1.10
Adapter B = 10.0.0.100

Whenever you try to communicate with SLC #1 RSLinx will use adapter A. Whenever you try to communicate with SLC #2 RSLinx will use adapter B. You don't have to tell it to do this, it does so automatically based on the addresses.

The EtherNet/IP driver has an option to have Windows select the correct adapter for you. What we are saying is, DO NOT LET WINDOWS PICK. Select the correct adapter yourself. Which would mean I would create two separate EtherNet/IP drivers to talk with the two SLCs mentioned above.

Now, assuming you have that setup correctly, you have another issue. EtherNet/IP is a protocol that came out after the SLC 5/05. So some SLC 5/05 systems have no idea what EtherNet/IP is and will not respond to its discovery messages. Newer SLCs have updated firmware so that they will recognize EtherNet/IP. It is possible you have a controller that has older firmware and does not respond to EtherNet/IP messages. The good news is that it is possible to upgrade those controllers with newer firmware.

I guess the bigger question is why do you insist on trying use EtherNet/IP when you can already talk to it using Ethernet devices. I would argue that the devices driver in some ways is much better.

OG

Last edited:
Ok, forget about the Ethernet Devices driver. Yes, we know it works. That has nothing to do with what we are telling you.

If your computer has two Ethernet adapters (for example wired and wireless) with completely different IP address ranges the Ethernet Devices driver looks at the IP address of the PLC and determines which Ethernet adapter on your computer it should use to reach that PLC. For example, assume you manually typed in the following two SLC 500 IP addresses:

SLC500 #1 = 192.168.1.15
SLC500 #2 = 10.0.0.5

And your computer uses the following two adapters and addresses:

Adapter A = 192.168.1.10
Adapter B = 10.0.0.100

Whenever you try to communicate with SLC #1 RSLinx will use adapter A. Whenever you try to communicate with SLC #2 RSLinx will use adapter B. You don't have to tell it to do this, it does so automatically based on the addresses.

The EtherNet/IP driver has an option to have Windows select the correct adapter for you. What we are saying is, DO NOT LET WINDOWS PICK. Select the correct adapter yourself. Which would mean I would create two separate EtherNet/IP drivers to talk with the two SLCs mentioned above.

Now, assuming you have that setup correctly, you have another issue. EtherNet/IP is a protocol that came out after the SLC 5/05. So some SLC 5/05 systems have no idea what EtherNet/IP is and will not respond to its discovery messages. Newer SLCs have updated firmware so that they will recognize EtherNet/IP. It is possible you have a controller that has older firmware and does not respond to EtherNet/IP messages. The good news is that it is possible to upgrade those controllers with newer firmware.

I guess the bigger question is why do you insist on trying use EtherNet/IP when you can already talk to it using Ethernet devices. I would argue that the devices driver in some ways is much better.

OG

Thank you for your idea!..

-Firstly my laptop works smoothly with ethernet/IP driver with my current bench setup. i cant remember anything that i've done except I upgraded my Studio 5000 to Version 29.
- Secondly i force disable all adapter except the wire, and i know how to used both wireless and wired and you are right you can have two different path for each adapter.
- Why I need the Ethernet/IP because im talking about 42VFD 30 + remote adapters and multiple produce and consume PLC's in one coaster ride only. a bit difficult to memorize all ip address
- lastly i reinstalled back the .TIB file and everything went back to my old set up. and problem solve.

cheers,

Ganie

Sometimes the Ethernet/IP driver does not work well unless you have configured a default gateway - even if there isn't one. Just stick in any old address on your subnet.

So why memorize or make a spreadsheet? Actually, a spreadsheet of all your devices should be a requirement anyways. Only Ethernet Devices allows this.

OG

Capture.JPG

So why memorize or make a spreadsheet? Actually, a spreadsheet of all your devices should be a requirement anyways. Only Ethernet Devices allows this.

OG

It's a lot easier to share a spreadsheet than to update your peers with the latest screenshot. :D