RSLogix 500 EthernetIP Accessing Input & Output Assembly

DamianInRochester

Lifetime Supporting Member
I need to pass variables to and from a 3rd party controller that supports EthernetIP. The machine I need to install it on has a SLC5/05 and I would like to using generic messaging to get at this data.

The developers of this product have only seemed to consider its use with RSLogix5000 series controllers. Attached is an example of that. I have an ML1400 I am trying to get to access these same memory areas but am having little success.

In my MSG block for reading I have selected CIP Generic with DT N10:0 with size of 18 bytes (9 integers). I have selected service code E for "read Assembly" Class 4 and Attribute 3. The instance I set to 16 to match the config in the Logix5000 program. In the multihop tab I have the IP of the controller. Controller pings fine and shows up on the network no problem.

Is what I am trying to do even possible? If so, what am I doing wrong?

link to manual:
http://www.linmot.com/fileadmin/doc/Manuals/E1100/Usermanual_Ethernet_IP_SG5.pdf

It's possible that the Assembly object is not created except when a Cyclic I/O Connection is requested. Since this is a motion controller, I would not be surprised if they really do require an I/O connection, not just a message to the Assembly Object.

Is the MSG in the MicroLogix 1400 getting an error, or is it just not having the desired effect on the LinMot controller ?

Also, try adding a "1, 0" as a second "hop" of the MSG instruction path, as though you were messaging to a ControlLogix in Slot 0. Some devices have implemented this convention when they function as a CIP Bridge as well as an adapter, though my instinct is that the LinMot device would act as an endpoint itself.

Have you figured out anything trying to communicate to the LinMot controller yet? I am currently in the same boat. I have a micrologix 1400 and am trying to communicate with messaging to a B8050-ML-IP MC Link controller which is connected to two B1150 drives. So far I have been unable to get anything to work. Thanks!