RSLogix 500 replacement for SLCs

TheCaptain2000

Lifetime Supporting Member
I have been using RSLogix 500 version 9 for a long time now. I am about to need to move to something else Rockwell related to cover the ControlLogix and CompactLogix systems I am about to encounter. What current program should I be looking at? The Rockwell website states that there is a more modern program that will cover my old stuff as well as the newer stuff, but I can't figure it out. Please advise.

For the CLX family you need Studio5000, and for older version CLX's it was RSLogix5000.

Also with RSLogix/Studio5000 you need to install ALL versions of the program that you will have PLC's with that version. Around v26 the name was changed from RSLogix5000 to Studio5000, so there is no version that has both named software.

Having RSLogix 9 you are able to connect to all SLC and ML PLC's regardless of the version written in - could be 2.8 to 12 and versions 8 to 12 will open them all.

For the CLX family if you have a PLC that is v32 then when you buy Studio5000 and get the current v35 you will need to download and install v32 to go online.

I have RSLogix/Studio5000 from ver's 16 to 34 installed on my desktop and primary laptop.

Around v26 the name was changed from RSLogix5000 to Studio5000, so there is no version that has both named software.

The name changed at v20/21. 20 or lower -- RSLogix 5000. 21 or higher -- Studio 5000.

Note that if you are buying a license, these days all versions below 20.05 require a 'legacy version' add-on.

Other than that caveat, you buy a single license for all versions even though you install them all separately.

Note that if you are buying a license, these days all versions below 20.05 require a 'legacy version' add-on.

Other than that caveat, you buy a single license for all versions even though you install them all separately.

This seems like a silly question, but do they charge extra for the legacy add-on? If so, do you know how much list is?

I am still also using an old windows 7 laptop. I'd prefer to move up to newer hardware with windows 10 or 11. Can my old RSLogix 500 and/or the 5000 programs run all the way up to Win11?

Can I use RSLogix 5000 for my old SLC stuff as well as a replacement?

Also, when talking versions of CLX, are we talking what versions of RSLogix/RSStudio the programs were originally written in and/or something about the hardware is different?

To be able to go online with a ControlLogix or CompactLogix you will need the firmware to match the software version, major revisions need to match except for version 20 and 21 they are a special case.

Rslogix/Studio does work on Windows 11, just run in compatibility mode

5000 is not for the SLC family, you still need 500 for that

When you connect to a CLX CPU it will show the version number of the CPU. That needs to match the software. Ver 35 will not connect to v34 or v33, you have to have that version installed too. If you have both versions installed you can upgrade the version of a project and flash new firmware for that version (you need to download the firmware for that CPU and version)

Also, when talking versions of CLX, are we talking what versions of RSLogix/RSStudio the programs were originally written in and/or something about the hardware is different?

Yes.:)

More seriously, the firmware in the physical hardware and the software version you do the programming in must match major revisions (minor revision doesn't matter except for a special case in v20 & v21)

Firmware can be upgraded though (with limitations depending on the hardware, and any programming currently downloaded will be wiped in the process).