RSLogix 500 to RSLogix 5000

Javillo

Hi guys,

anyone know if you can convert a program in Logix 500 to Logix 5000?

Im currently using a program in Logix 500 with an SLC 5/05.

Im looking to buy a CompactLogix and want to use the same program with Logix 5000.

Any help?

There is a built in utility to import RSLogix 5/500 into 5000.
This utility converts 95% of your software
You will need to fix the other 5% and remap the IO

all in all a very simple deal

Although the conversion utility works, it is a really BAD way to make use of all the features of a ControlLogix system.

If you have never used Logix 5000 I can understand using it to get you started. If you are familiar with it, then it is a lot better to write the code from scratch making good use of tag names and UDT structure.

There are some critical differences between ControlLogix and the SLC line. You need to understand the producer consumer model used for IO. This is really important if your old program uses scan dependent logic.

You should also understand how to buffer the IO if needed.

If you use the conversion utility make sure and validate your code thoroughly. Don't assume it worked in an SLC so it's ok now too.

I highly recomend reading the online manuals included in logix 5000.

RSL

Thanks, ill make sure to do that.

Will be definatly reading the manuals aswell.

Anything else i should know?

BTW, going with CompactLogix not ControlLogix, but they will be very similar.

Very much the same. There are differences, but the items I mentioned still apply.

There are some specific requirements about how many slots away from the controller and power supply some modules can be. This is a BIG difference between Compact and Control Logix. You need to read up on each module you will be using and make sure you can get them all in one rack.

I can't think of anything else off the top of my head. I think you will like the CompactLogix.

A lot of people use them instead of an SLC when specifying a project.

RSL

I like all the Logix systems, but one this i dont like about the compact i/o is the fact that it is low res. Also, for the low res modules, the data is stored in bits 7-14, so u must condition your i/o for this as well.