RSLogix 500 - Unit tracking and multiple unit load/unload

TurpoUrpo: Bottleneck only? Is next station downstream faster than these 24 for now? can it get to the point where these 24 are faster than downstream, if it does in what way it would affect this "time critical"?

The next station downstream is currently only faster because units in the 24 stations are often delayed by the constraining "only one unit on the main conveyor logic" It would be ideal if these 24 stations were capable of operating faster than both the upstream and downstream stations. It typically fills up or empties in order to the balance the flow of the rest of the line.

Being faster than the downstream station would not have a negative effect on the critical time. Units are able to continue to be connected to the machine even after the machine process has completed. Time only becomes critical after the operator physically disconnects the unit from the machine and "releases" it.

Lancie1: Mike, Okay, the situation is different than I assumed. I thought the machine signaled when a unit was done, but I see now that the operator must intervene. That paints a different picture. Now your PLC cannot choose which unit (the closest to exit) to unload, but must wait on the operator.

That is correct. The machine does signal when the unit is done, but ultimately it is the operator the disconnect and releases it after they receive this signal. There is currently a team that is looking into automating this process and the PLC would then be required to determine when a unit is released after the machine has completed the process, but until then, we rely on operator intervention.

Thank you for sharing the sort files!

Does one need to maintain order?

Eg. far end and close end stations are ready, far (far from downstream) is ready and released first, does it need also to get to next station first or can one part be inserted in between?

Similar Process but in VersaPro or GE Cimplicity

As a training exercise I am doing a similar program but in VersaPro or GE Cimplicity.

Process: There are 2 main conveyors, the enter and exit conveyor. The parts enter 1 of 6 stations. The part is then checked and once completed the part exit that station returning to the exit conveyor.Note that all 6 stations complete the same checking process. I want to alternative the parts between stations from station 1 to 6 or in other words if the next station is busy send the part to the next available station. The enter and exit conveyor will be continuously running. All 6 station will have a turning table(rotating clockwise to enter the station and counter clockwise to exit that station). There will be multiple parts on the enter and exit conveyor so at the same time all 6 stations will be completing the same task and once a station becomes available a new part entering the enter conveyor will move that part to the available station.

There will be multiple parts on the enter and exit conveyor so at the same time all 6 stations will be completing the same task and once a station becomes available a new part entering the enter conveyor will move that part to the available station.
Great, looks like a good start.