RsLogix 500 Vs. ContolLogix

Implision

I am looking for a strictly objective comparison of these two platforms. What are the differences; communication, modules, tags, anything and everything that makes these two platforms different. Thank you in advance.

Just to clarify the obvious mistake,

RSLogix 500 is software for programming SLC 500 and MicroLogix controllers. ControlLogix is hardware that is part of the Logix 5000 family.

OG

My info is dated.
5000 i/o was asynchronous if my memory serves me correct.
Means the i/o could change between rungs.
So I would copy the i/o to new tags at the beginning of the program.

I am looking for a strictly objective comparison of these two platforms. What are the differences; communication, modules, tags, anything and everything that makes these two platforms different. Thank you in advance.

What are you trying to accomplish? These are two different generations of PLC tech so naturally there will be a substantial amount of difference.

All depends on what you are trying to do , 5000 in some cases is overkill

500 is definitely more user-friendly and easier to get a grasp on. After learning on 500 in school and having to learn 5000 for work, it was a bit confusing at first, but it wasn't long before I understood the power behind 5000. Even things as simple as being able to change the name of a tag in the tag database and having it update all the existing instances to the new tag has saved a lot of time, not even to mention the tag system itself.

In my case, once I started using 5000 I didn't want to be back to 500.
For example, think about the power of UDT (User Defined Types) and Add-Ons.
I can create a UDT named "Motor", and have everything I need for a motor. I don't have to define each and every bit or integer separately. And everything will be tied to the corresponding motor. So, when I type "Motor_1" as the name of a tag, I will have access to all its components.
Then, I can create an Add-On named "Motor Control", define all I want to do to control a motor, and then just assign that Add-On to "Motor_1". No need to re-type code and/or search and replace addresses.

All of this information helps. Thank you.

-RSlogix500 is register based and RSLogix5000/Studio5000 is tag based.
-UDT's and AOI's are introduced in RSLogix5000/Studio5000.
-There are four programming languages in RSLogix5000/Studio5000; Ladder, ST, FB, and SFC.
-RSLogix5000/Studio5000 seems to be more intuitive
-Each RSLogix5000/Studio5000 tag actually uses at least 32 bits of memory, regardless of data type

I was asked what am I trying to accomplish? I am trying to have a good understanding how these two platforms are different and what makes them different. Whether RSLogix5000/Studio5000 is overkill or not is irrelevant. All of the information that I am trying to gather is for educational purposes. This information will be compiled into a document and used to explain differences between RSLogix500 and RSLogix5000/Studio5000 to beginners and/or advanced users who have never used RSLogix5000/Studio5000 software. So if anybody has anything else to add please do so. Even the most minute detail will be relevant.

Thank you again.

All of this information helps. Thank you.
This information will be compiled into a document and used to explain differences between RSLogix500 and RSLogix5000/Studio5000 to beginners and/or advanced users who have never used RSLogix5000/Studio5000 software.

Have you crated an outline for this document yet? It would help if you shared that. As I said there are substantial differences between the two platforms and the responses so far are very simplistic. Would be better for you to provide a framework for us to help you fill in gaps.

How much of this document can you create w/your experience? What specific knowledge gaps are you trying to fill?