Rslogix 5000 on Normal XP System and Rsview 32 on Vmware

raul_vaze

Dear All ,

I have a Windows XP ( SP3) laptop which has Vmware 8 installed and in Vmware i have installed Rsview32 , whereas in my laptop there is rslogix 5000 emulator installed .

Now i want the RSview 32 installed in the VMware software to talk to Rslogix 5000 installed in the same laptop . Is this possible

Rslogix5000 is running on laptop while Rsview 32 is running on vmware installed on same laptop.

RSView32 uses OPC to communicate with any ControlLogix family controller, including RSEmulate 5000.

Because the virtual machine is a separate instance of the operating system, I think you will need to treat the RSLinx Classic "virtual backplane" driver on the host computer as though it exists on a separate computer from the RSView32 Virtual Machine.

This means you will need to license and configure RSLinx Classic Gateway as a Remote OPC Server.

I don't think you can communicate with the RSEmulate 5000 over TCP/IP as though it was an ordinary ControlLogix. Only the "virtual backplane" driver can talk to it.

RSView32 uses OPC to communicate with any ControlLogix family controller, including RSEmulate 5000.

Because the virtual machine is a separate instance of the operating system, I think you will need to treat the RSLinx Classic "virtual backplane" driver on the host computer as though it exists on a separate computer from the RSView32 Virtual Machine.

This means you will need to license and configure RSLinx Classic Gateway as a Remote OPC Server.

I don't think you can communicate with the RSEmulate 5000 over TCP/IP as though it was an ordinary ControlLogix. Only the "virtual backplane" driver can talk to it.
U mean that in rslinx in host item i need to enable Gateway and also define Topics as OPC .. can u please make clear .. Do i need to add Rslinx classic also in Virtual machine

You do not have to enable the Gateway feature of RSLinx Gateway.

You do need the RSLinx Gateway license because it is the only license that supports Remote OPC, in which the OPC Client (RSView32) is on a different computer than the OPC Server (RSLinx Classic).

Yes, you must create an OPC Topic that points to the RSEmulate 5000 controller.

I cannot guide you through the configuration of OPC and Remote OPC. The RSView32 user manuals, RSLinx Classic Online Help, and general principles of networking VMWare and physical computers will have to do.