RSLogix 5000 & Visual Basic

manuplcsnet

Does anyone have a RSLogix 5000 Automation Interface Reference manual?
I want to interface VB(VB6 or Visual Basic 2005 Express Edition) with RSLogix 5000 e.g open ACD file & convert to L5K using VB and vica versa, autogenerate some device code using VB etc.

Though I have programmed PLC's for 2-3 years, I'm new to VB.
Any help moving forward is appreciated.

Did you check the AB website for the manual?

I have been programming VB for a number of years now and this type of VB programming is not for a newbie. What protocol are you going to use as an interface DF1, ethernet? There are companies that sell the activex controls that would help you get a big head start.

Out of curiosity, what exactly are you trying to automate. Fault routines maybe. If you do have the spare time and a few weeks, it will be a nice project. Good Luck.

You may be over thinking the problem. The L5K file is just a XML text file. Your VB program can generate L5K files without any need for an interface with RSLogix5000. There is little value in duplicating the conversion from ACD to L5K in VB, RSLogix500 already does this part quite well. Learning how to generate an entire L5K file that converts properly is certainly a big enough task to take on.