rslogix500 B9 Bit File

galaxian11

Can someone tell me if there is a difference between the B3 file and the B9 file? I was troubleshooting a program that was using a B9 bit and not sure why it wasn't a B3 bit instead. Thanks

Can someone tell me if there is a difference between the B3 file and the B9 file? I was troubleshooting a program that was using a B9 bit and not sure why it wasn't a B3 bit instead. Thanks
Welcome to the forum!

Functionally, no there is no difference. A bit from a word in the B3 file will behave exactly the same as a bit from a B9 word. A bit is a bit is a bit, as far as the logic engine is concerned.
As far as the data files themselves, one certain difference is that the B3 file (along with T4,C5,R6,N7,and F8 files) is one of the pre-defined data files that you get with each and every rslogix 500 project by default. The size of those files can vary, and I believe that you can change the data types of these files too, if so inclined, but most folks never do. All of the other data files in a program (like your B9 file) were put there by the programmer, often grouped together in logical sections of the machine or process the PLC is controlling.