RSLogix5000 ASCII

SMills

This might be a simple question. I have a red lion display which i can communicate over rs232 or 485. I am needing to get information from a plc and send it to the unit for it to display. Is it as easy as grabbing the information from the plc, putting it into a ascii string, and sending it to the unit over the rs comport?

Welcome to the Forum !

What model of Red Lion display ?

Most ASCII slave displays do require a few characters of control data along with the string information. It's relatively straightforward to add those and put together an output string in Studio 5000.

Modern ControlLogix and CompactLogix controllers don't have built-in serial ports so you might need a network/serial device if your system is new.

Thanks Ken! I'm new to PLCs and found this forum. I will be looking to it for help in learning and understanding. I have read a few of the post already and look forward to reading more.

It is model LD4006P0. And I believe you are right with the control data needed with the input string from what I've read in the manual for this.

Thanks again