RSLx 5000: trouble adding device to network

DairyBoy

Hi all. I went to a site today that has AB processors/HMIs on an ethernet network. They're not all mapped to each other and I needed to add one of the CLX processors to the group so that I could Msg between them (1756-ENBT/A in both cases). So: Right click on the network icon under the parent CPU and add new. Pop-up lets me enter all the information, node name/IP address/rack size/adapter slot etc. I set the keying to "compatible" and format to "Listen only" as I couldn't find definitions for any formats in the local help files and at this stage I've only been asked to send one bit from A to B. On hitting OK, it showed the warning about adding the device to the network and to set comms to off. Seemed like a good idea to me. But then after a couple of seconds gave me the pop-up message "Failed to modify module properties. Not enough data." As there are no other tabs on this dialogue I'm stumped. Does it mean not enough data in the set up dialogue or in the connections to the processor? Any pointers would be appreciated. Thanks.

I strongly recommend the ENET-UM001 manual from the RA Literature server. It includes most of the information you need to do this sort of thing.

You do not need to have the remote 1756-ENxT modules nor the remote CPUs in the I/O tree to use MSG instructions. You can always enter CIP Paths by hand.

While having the remote CPU in the I/O tree simplifies the entry of the CIP Path in the MSG instruction's Path tab, the presence of the remote CPU in the I/O tree is only necessary when you are using Produced/Consumed Tags.

When you are going to Consume a tag that is Produced by a remote CPU, you put the remote 1756-ENBT and the remote CPU into your I/O tree with a connection type of "None".

You don't use "Listen Only" connections unless you are actually implementing a "Listen Only" I/O Connection to an I/O module that is owned by another controller.

Thank you, Ken. I will get that document. I did try entering the path manually at the start using the example in the local help file but I guess I can't read.

Moving on but not quite there

Back again...

The config to include the additional rack is now loaded in the parent controller and the network is behaving itself. However, whichever way I enter the remote address, it gives me: "IOI syntax error" in the MSG config popup. The overall config is:

• Parent processor in slot 0 of a 10 slot chassis
  • Ethernet comms module in slot 1 of parent chassis
  • IP of remote unit: 192.178.134.10
  • Processor of remote unit in slot 0
So if I click on the remote module in the tree it shows the controller name. I then add ,1,0 to that name but it gives the error.

If I enter it as: 1,1,2,192.168.134.10,1,0 it accepts it but still gives the same error.

I then clicked on a networked 1769L532 that is being MSG'd by the same program and it worked ok (no error) although I didn't set up a target tag to fully test it.

Does anyone have a suggestion please?

Once you've selected the remote CPU itself, you don't need to specify the slot number in addition. Just navigate to the CPU, and you're done.

What is the exact tag name you're trying to read ? What MSG service have you selected ?

Are you doing an actual ControlLogix Tag read (called a CIP Data Table Read) or are you trying to use SLC/PLC style "N7:0" data table addressing ?

"IOI Syntax Error" virtually always means that the tag name is mis-spelled or otherwise incorrect.

[FONT=&quot]Mike RH, yes I've checked the tag name carefully and it's the same (case & characters). Is my observation regarding the L532 processor irrelevant as it's direct to the physical port and not via an ethernet module?

Eddie, I stared without the extra characters tacked onto the end of the controller name but tried it anyway. Deleted now. I've attached some screen shots of the config dialogues.

Thank you.
[/FONT]

Back again...

The config to include the additional rack is now loaded in the parent controller and the network is behaving itself. However, whichever way I enter the remote address, it gives me: "IOI syntax error" in the MSG config popup. The overall config is:

• Parent processor in slot 0 of a 10 slot chassis
  • Ethernet comms module in slot 1 of parent chassis
  • IP of remote unit: 192.178.134.10
  • Processor of remote unit in slot 0
So if I click on the remote module in the tree it shows the controller name. I then add ,1,0 to that name but it gives the error.

If I enter it as: 1,1,2,192.168.134.10,1,0 it accepts it but still gives the same error.

I then clicked on a networked 1769L532 that is being MSG'd by the same program and it worked ok (no error) although I didn't set up a target tag to fully test it.

Does anyone have a suggestion please?

Does 1,2,192.168.134.10,1,0 work?

lostcontrol, I haven't tried that as it's only 5 entries. My understanding is that it should be 6: 1= start via backplane, 1=parent module slot, 2=ethernet comms, [ip address], 1=target via backplane, 0=slot of target processor.

Your description of the CIP path above is correct, but in the screenshot document the path appears to only go as far as the remote ENBT module.

When the target is an SLC-5/05 or MicroLogix 1100/1400, (or a new 5370 seriess CompactLogix) the target IP is the endpoint.

When the target is a ControlLogix, you need the CPU name in the I/O tree, or that last hop to the backplane and slot.

What data type is "J604_Data" ?

This MSG will act on the whole tag, not just the first subelement of an array tag.

Ken, have I missed adding the processor at the next level? (see attached). BTW the tag is dint (single element) at both ends.