RSView command execution

himy19

I have developped an application in RSView32 on a new machine that will be used as the customer's HMI. When I run the project and try to execute any of the commands they fail to do anything. Example, I have a push button that should "SET" a tag value "BATCH_CHOSE" to that of another tag value "BATCH_RECALL". When I press the button nothing happens. I copied the project to my laptop and ran it with no problems. When I press the button it does excatly what I want. I experimented with several different types of buttons, numeric displays, string displays, etc. to no avail. When I tried to execute a RecipeDownloadUunit it locked up the software!

If anyone has an idea, please HELP!

Don't give up

I have to leave my desk for a short while, but I will be checking back in later. Please if anyone has advise on this topic let me know. Thanks.

My tags are both Memory and Device. This particular set of tags is memory. Neither the memory or device tags work. It's like the commands are not being executed. I just added a NUMERIC INPUT and a NUMERIC DISPLAY for the same tag "RATION_RECALL". When I type a number into the NUMERIC INPUT it does not show in the NUMERIC DISPLAY!

Okay, a WAG, when you enter the value in the numeric input, are you using the built in on-screen keypad? If so, you must hit the button labeled "Download". The "Enter" button will not write the value to your tag.

Well, maybe I should elaborate on myself. I have been using RSView since it's inception, so I have tried any obvious fixes. Personally I'm starting to question the install software disks. Thanks for your time though.

Okay, can't tell your experience from just a couple of posts, so like I said, it was a wild guess.

One technote did refer to reinstalling RSView32 to fix the same symptoms:

Download of numeric input value does not update memory tag.
trnsp.gif
Question Download of numeric input value does not update memory tag.
trnsp.gif
Answer Observation:
A memory tag in RSView32 is associated with numeric input and numeric display objects on a display screen. The display screen settings are configured to use the on-screen keyboard. When test running the display screen and entering a value to the numeric input object using the on-screen keyboard, the numeric display does not update.

Looking in the Windows Event Viewer a warning is seen every minute from MSI Installer.

Possible Cause:
RSView32 was not succecssfully installed.

Possible Solution:
Uninstall and reinstall RSView32.

Last edited:
I've reinstalled several times, but it doesn't help. I was curious, so I installed to another machine using same disks. We have the same problem. Now, I'm trying to get a new set of install disks to see if my disks are causing the coruption. Free disks from Allen-Bradley, wish me luck! :mad:

Your problem seems very similar to one that occassionally (once a week) strikes us on one or other of two RSView32 that have very similar screens and Data base,
When we try to enter data into a data entry field it appears to accept the data, but that data fails to get the dotted outline on the data entry field that shows it has sent and read the data back, if we go off that screen and come back to it you see it has failed to be accepted. (Was not sent I think)

The work around that I have developed that works for us is,
Shut down RSView32 right back to the Windows Desktop,
Unplug all Ethernet or other Comms to the RSView32 PC and then restart RSView32 right up to the first screen which will have empty data fields wait, wait for long enough for it to scan all tags say 30 seconds, then plug the Ethernet or other Comms cable or cables back in.

My feeling is that RSView32 is trying to share an activation or is trying to share tag data with another RSView32 package that by shuting it down and restarting like this makes it run as a stand alone package that it is meant to be

Something I have posted before.

Just a different slant that may be worth trying.

Sometimes when edits are done in RSView 32, the project just does not want to release the cache files, and tries to keep running on previous settings.

A repair I do if any issue crops up, is to shut down the project, then in windows explorer, go into the project folder, open the cache folder, and blow away all files in that cache folder, they will be rebuilt on the next start up.

The next thing I do is go to the projects Tag folder, and look for one file with "the project name".cac
I THEN BLOW THAT ONE ONLY AWAY, leaving all the other files in that folder, this .cac file also will be rebuilt on project start up.

Then shut down computer and reboot and run your project.

I cant promise this will fix your problem, but it wont harm it either.