RSViewME and Rxlogix 5000 querries

meera

Hi all,

I am new to Rsview ME and RSlogix 5000
But I am familiar with Rslogix 500 ladder logic programming.

So I ahve few querries.I would be delighted if you try to solve them

1- whats difference between control tags and program tags
2- how many maximum no of program tags and control tags can be generated?
3- how to scale analog values ...no scp instruction is available in rslogix 5000 with mini lisence
4- how to create login / logout (password) operations in RSView ME

Thanks & Regards
Meera

Hello meera;

1- whats difference between control tags and program tags

Controller tags are the equivalent of "global" variables in C: they are available from any routine or subroutine in the program. Program tags are the equivalent of "local" variables: they are seen and used only by the routine calling them.

2- how many maximum no of program tags and control tags can be generated?
To my knowledge there is no inherent limit to the number of tags in your program. The only limit is the amount of memory in your processor, both for program, and data.

3- how to scale analog values ...no scp instruction is available in rslogix 5000 with mini lisence
Scaling is best done in the I/O configuration section of the program, where you setup all your I/O modules, either local or remote. Simply select your analog input module, open the module properties display, configuration tab, and there you can select range, scaling and engineering units for each channel individually. You can also set alarm levels for each channel on the Alarm Configuration tab.

4- how to create login / logout (password) operations in RSView ME
RSView uses RSAssetSecurity to setup access rights for SE and ME. I suggest you look at the user manual for ME, there is a whole chapter on security and passwords.

Hope this helps,
Daniel Chartier

dchartier said:
Hello meera;

Controller tags are the equivalent of "global" variables in C: they are available from any routine or subroutine in the program. Program tags are the equivalent of "local" variables: they are seen and used only by the routine calling them.

To my knowledge there is no inherent limit to the number of tags in your program. The only limit is the amount of memory in your processor, both for program, and data.

Scaling is best done in the I/O configuration section of the program, where you setup all your I/O modules, either local or remote. Simply select your analog input module, open the module properties display, configuration tab, and there you can select range, scaling and engineering units for each channel individually. You can also set alarm levels for each channel on the Alarm Configuration tab.

RSView uses RSAssetSecurity to setup access rights for SE and ME. I suggest you look at the user manual for ME, there is a whole chapter on security and passwords.

Hope this helps,
Daniel Chartier
Thanks you Sir for quick reply.

I am using 1794 IE8/B as an analog module. And its configuration tab is having only input channel vs voltage/current range table. I don’t see scaling & engineering units for channel

dchartier said:
Hello manasi;

I am used to Controllogix platform, 1756, where scaling is handled by the hardware configuration.
In the case of Flex platform, you might have to scale yourself, in ladder or use a scaling block in FBD :

http://www.plctalk.net/qanda/showthread.php?t=28971
Hope this helps,
Daniel Chartier
P.S. Are you meera under another name?
thanks again for a quick reply
yes... my nick name is meera

Last edited: