[S7-1500] How to create an array with comments per element?

Rogier89

Hello!

I want to create an array of booleans (inside a DB), but each element needs it's own description.

Does anyone know a way to either:
- Use an AT view in a global data block?
- Create an array with individual comments for each component?
- Loop through a list of separate booleans with symbolic addressing?

I'm using a S7-1500 PLC.

In RSLogix I create a User Defined Data Type that contains anything I want BOOL, STRING, DINT, ect.
Once that data type is created you can make an array of it the same way you can array a DINT or any other standard data type.

In RSLogix I create a User Defined Data Type that contains anything I want BOOL, STRING, DINT, ect.
Once that data type is created you can make an array of it the same way you can array a DINT or any other standard data type.

If I'm understanding the OP correctly he wants to have a different comment for each element of the array... It seems that RSLogix always makes the comments the same Boolean[1] will have the same comment as Boolean[2] ... etc

I C.

That is true for the default comments that are created.
In RSLogix you can go into the software after you create the array and place unique Description on each element.
I think this will accomplish what you are looking for.

Rather than using an array of bool's, use a tag of type Struct. This is sort of the equivalent of a UDT in Allen-Bradley that GTUnit referred to above - once you create the tag, you can add members of any type to it and call them whatever you want. Add in as many Bools as you need!

If you use optimised user blocks, you end up with an address in the format:

[Data Block].[Struct Tag Name].[Member Name]

for example:

SensorInputs.ProximitySwitches.Motor1Indexing

Where your DB is called SensorInputs, it contains a Struct tag called ProximitySwitches, and the Struct Tag contains a bool member called Motor1Indexing

Dear ASF,

I believe that Struct is not the equivalent of UDT in AB.
PLC Data type is the equivalent of UDT in AB.
You cannot instantiate a struct like a UDT in AB but you can instantiate a PLC Data type. In fact in Step 7 Classic (5.x) the PLC Data types where called UDTs.

Ah yes, I've had a poke around and I see what you mean. Oh well, if the OP only needs one instance of the tag then he can still use a single Struct tag, if not then you're right, a PLC Data Type is probably a better option.