S7-300 comms question

Seanof

Lifetime Supporting Member
Hi I have an old Siemens S7-300 plc with a CPU313C. The firmware version is 2.0.12 so am presuming its an oldie. I have a model elevator constructed for a college project complete with VFD, a programme in it and functioning. I am at the point where i want to use IGSS FREE 50 scada to put a basic screen via my laptop on it but cannot get it to connect with this PLC over MPI(Generic USB adapter) from my laptop. I have contacted IGSS tech support and they suggested i use driver no.8 of theirs but this requires Simatic Net software and a programme called COMLS7 which seems to be old tech.
Would anyone have any idea on how to proceed here as i am running out of ideas...🍺

Hi it has the MPI adapter I have Simatic software and can write programs download and go online no problem. I was just hoping to put a basic scada prog on My laptop to display elevator positions and set floor levels that kind of thing. It's the age of the PLC that is making me wonder should I just buy an Ethernet module and bring it into the modern age......

You should be fine with the MPI... if its just for practice dont spend the money

Make sure the Siemens software is not running, most of the time with a HMI (3rd party) you will need to stop the programming software as they both will try and use the port, I have never used the IGSS software, do they have any sample programs you can look at or YouTube videos?

You can use Kepware OPC to connect to the S7313c , I'm not familiar with IGSS stuff , but I'm sure they would have an OPC option ?

Just downloaded The Kepware trial this morning seems to be popular with Siemens stuff. Will give it a shot after work thanks for all the help