S7/300 Data Exchange via Ethernet connection

Jmac4506

Hello!
I need to know if its possible to transfer data between two PLCs that are on the same ethernet network but NOT contained within the same project. If so... How? Thanks!🤞🏻

Last edited:
What kind of data? Real world I-O, internal bits, registers? I have used Red Lion G3 series HMI's in the past, which as I understand it, the Red Lion Data Stations are the same concept. You can monitor several PLC's- even different brands- and write C code to do "A" when "B" happens.. in other words, I would monitor I-O in a GE PLC and make something happen in an AB PLC or visa-versa. I would monitor realword bits, M bits, B bits, registers etc.

Just one idea...

I am needing to set up a WORD of data. Basically, I want to be running a program in one PLC and if certain bits within the PLC go true, have a seconday PLC pick up on that information. I trying to get this set up working then I will go to my bigger project... I will have system "A" running.... it will send the same memory bit (or DB bit) out and systems "B", "C", "D", "E"... and so on, will see this bit change and react according to programming. Would be easy if these were all in the same multiproject.

From what I think I'm seeing... you must have some type of CP card in your hardware configuration in order to do this. YOu cannot do it directly through just the built in ethernet port on the CPU. I'm using a 318-3EL01-0AB0 in one rack, and a 317-2FK13-0AB0 in the other.

From the link I posted..

If the communication partner is not configured in the same STEP 7 project as the S7-300 station, then an unspecified S7 connection is configured.

Your 319 & 317 CPU should be good to go for this using the onboard PN port.

you can do it with build in profinet ports.
On netpro you have to make s7-connection, select unknow project, give local id (hex number) and IP address for partner plc. On address details give rack and slot number of your plc and of partner.

Then use get and put (FB14 and FB15) commands. you dont need to any code on partner plc (only db-blocks where you write and read is needed on partner plc)

If I remember right there was on siemens library two different put/get blocks. One was for built in port and other for cp-cards, they both where with same fb number, so take care also where you copy blocks to project...

Last edited:
Or it was maybe that there was sfb14 and fb14 and sfb15 and fb15 blocks, and I had some problem first.

To sum it up:
In the program for the 319 CPU, use NetPro to configure an S7-connection with an "un-specified" partner.
In the setup of the connection, you have to manually specify the partners IP, Rack and Slot (under "Address details").
Download the connection to the 319 CPU.
Use PUT and GET from the standard library. For the PUT or GET blocks you only have to specify the ID which you get when setting up the connection in NetPro.
And you are good to go. There is no need to do anything in the partner. (edit: except that the destination DB must exist and be big enough).

An alternative to PUT/GET is to setup SEND/RECEIVE with the TCON/TSEND/TRECV blocks. But this is a bit more complicated than PUT/GET so start with that.
SEND/RECEIVE involves both partners.

In addition to all the correct description above:

In my guide it says:
Remember to compile project in NetPro. Only compiling in HW config will not work.

Bingo!

Just want thank all for their replies and input! I found where I was in error... I was missing a step in the partner configuration. I wasn't setting the PLC slot location in the NetPro connection.
Thanks again! 🙃

Capture.JPG Capture2.jpg

unspecified s7 connection

To sum it up:
In the program for the 319 CPU, use NetPro to configure an S7-connection with an "un-specified" partner.
In the setup of the connection, you have to manually specify the partners IP, Rack and Slot (under "Address details").
Download the connection to the 319 CPU.
Use PUT and GET from the standard library. For the PUT or GET blocks you only have to specify the ID which you get when setting up the connection in NetPro.
And you are good to go. There is no need to do anything in the partner. (edit: except that the destination DB must exist and be big enough).

An alternative to PUT/GET is to setup SEND/RECEIVE with the TCON/TSEND/TRECV blocks. But this is a bit more complicated than PUT/GET so start with that.
SEND/RECEIVE involves both partners.

Dear JesperMP,
in netpro s7 connection setting of "partners IP, Rack and Slot" is sufficient for connetion or not?
and another question:
when should i select "establish an active connection"?
best regards.