S7-400 communication with S7-1200 via put/get NOT with TIA

inutz_john

Good day, everyone,

We're trying to establish an S7 connection on ethernet between an S7-400 CPU and a new S7-1200 CPU (which is defined as slave in the communication diagram we've received), in Simatic Manager - not in TIA. We have defined in NetPro the connection between our S7-400 CPU and an unspecified partner (the S7-1200 CPU), we've then entered the partner's MAC (and the partner's rack/slot, from what we could find, we entered 0/1) and then downloaded the configuration in our S7-400 PLC.
Then we've created a FC in the S7-400 CPU, in Simatic Manager, where we wrote the PUT and GET functions to read/write from/to the S7-1200 CPU. To test, we've tried these functions in between 2 of our S7-400 CPUs, and they worked: the functions' error and status outputs were 0. The FC is called from a CFC.
On the S7-1200 CPU we've enabled the PUT and GET functions, and we've removed the protection from the DBs we want to read/write.
After we've done all of this, both the PUT and GET functions return ERROR and STATUS 1, and 16#0001, respectively.
Moreover, we created a DB for the functions' inputs/outputs (REQ, DONE, ERROR, STATUS), and the functions themselves created their respective DBs
For the GET function: on ADDR_1 we entered P#DB10.DBX0.0 BYTE 100 (DB10 is located on S7-1200) and RD_1 we entered P#DB80.DBX0.0 BYTE 100 (DB80 is on our S7-400).
For the PUT function: similarly, on ADDR_1 we put P#DB15.DBX0.0 BYTE 14 (DB15 is on S7-1200) and on SD_1 we put P#DB81.DBX0.0 BYTE 14.
Both S7-1200_DB10 and S7-400_DB80, and as well S7-1200_DB15 and S7-400_DB81, have the same structure in between them. To test, we tried adding a new DB in the S7-1200 CPU, just 8 bits, and read from it (ADDR_1 := P#DB22.DBX 0.0 BYTE 1 and RD_1 := P#DB89.DBX0.0 BYTE 1 ; DB89 is on S7-400 and contains those 8 bits, and the same result.

Does anyone have a suggestion what else to check/try?
Thank you in advance. I'll stand by for any questions or suggestions. 🔨

When we define the S7 connection with the S7-1200 CPU as unspecified (station), it then asks for the network Local ID, and on the partner side we can enter End Point and Address. In the Address field we've entered the S7-1200's MAC, and then we've clicked the Address Details button and I said what we've entered there. Instead of the MAC, should we have entered the IP? Our CPU also has its MAC entered, and when we tested between two S7-400 CPUs we also used the MAC address.
Yes, in the S7-1200 we've enabled these functions, and the DBs are not optimized.
FYI, we used SFB14 and SFB15.

I'll post after this reply.
So we've tried connecting via IP, then we created a new blank DB with 8 bits on S7-1200 and on S7-400 and another GET on S7-400, and we could read the bits. And then we tried testing with PUT, other DBs with 8 bits, but that didn't work. I'm starting to think that there may be more settings on S7-1200, maybe on a project level.
Let me know of what you'd like screenshots, after this new development.
And also thanks.

Have you restarted 1200 with powerboot. Pretty sure that it needed that after netpro download at least years ago when writed put/get coms.

We've tried rebooting the S7-1200, and somehow the GET function is working. We've made 6 GET functions because apparently after some length it's not working anymore, and we had to send 174 bytes in total.
However, PUT doesn't work, towards the DB we wanted to send to in the first place. To try something else, we've added another PUT which sends a byte from S7-400_DB81 (same source) to a different DB in S7-1200, and that works. 🔨

It's been fixed. We had a look at the DB we wanted to send data to, and discovered that the DB was built up with input bytes from the profinet communication, byte by byte. Once we've deleted those MOVEs, we could send data to S7-1200.
So thanks a lot everyone for your suggestions. Hopefully this helps others who don't use TIA yet.
Cheers guys! :cry: