sae j1939 -> PLC

Tsørensen

I would like to Control a Engine from a PLC device.

The engine has a redundant CanOpen SAE J1939 interface.

I have read different thing on the web, but can’t find anything describing the protocol and how to configure the plc to talk to the device.

I Would prefer to use Siemens Step7 s300 PLC, but if is not possible or someone has experience with other PLC’s this information is more then welcome as well J

Hi,

I have done this using the Sauer-Danfoss Plus1. Plus1 is a controll system for mobile aplications. It has standard function blocks for J1939.

If you are just going to set values like engine rpm etc and read values such as temperature etc it is not that complicated using Plus1. The biggest problem is to make a good application to take care of alarms and messages since this is quite complicated.

Look at http://www.sauer-danfoss-plus1.com/

If you register I think you can download a demo version of the Guide development software and the J1939 function blocks. Even If you will not use the Plus1 you might get an idea of J1939.

You can also find more info on the standard on: http://www.sae.org/standardsdev/groundvehicle/j1939a.htm

Thakns

THANKS !

I will look into it...

The only thing i need is to start the engine and get some engineinfo rpm / oil level etc.

OK,

You say it is a redundant port. Will you use the redundancy functionality. It would be interesting to know how it is handled.

I dont know if the redundent functionality will be used, it depend on how complicated it is setting up.

This is my first CanBus project, so I am kind of starting from scratch. As far as I can see Canbus And J1939 seems a lot more complicated then setting up Ethernet/Profibus/deviceNet and other fieldbusses on a PLC. And the Documentation is kind of non existing.

Boink.

i have looked at the Plus1 software, and im still very confused ?

is this oparation to get a PLC to talk to SAE j1939 based CanOpen really that complicated ??

is there really not just a simple protocol.. you send this package and get this back, and the information you need is there there and there ?

It may be easier to forget about the CanOpen thing and just use hardware, a mag pickup could be used for rpm, a pressure transducer for oil (if the existing system has one it may be possible to connect to it), and relay into the start/stop circuit. If its just start/stop and monitor this should not be that difficult.

rsdoran: this is not a one time installation.. it would be expensive to modufy 10-15 1000hp engines a year..

MrQ:

Thanks !! this converter looks interesting :)

thinks i will contact the company and get some more information :)