SAP to PLC data transfer?

ceilingwalker

Lifetime Supporting Member
Has anyone here successfully created a system where the software SAP (ERP) interfaced with an Allen-Bradley PLC? Currently we have to take recipes from SAP, print them out, then the machine operator has to manually input this data on a PanelView+. Obviously, we experience entry errors since humans are entering it. I would like to know if anyone has been able to load directly to a PLC, from and ERP such as SAP? If so, how involved is that accomplished? Thank you.

SAP can be an OPC DA client. It needs an extension called SAP ODA:
https://help.sap.com/docs/SAP_ERP/5...b54ce10000000a174cb4.html?version=6.03.latest
SAP ODA is based on the OPC standards OPC Data Access 1.x and 2.04 and OPC Alarms and Events 1.01 . We will refer to OPC servers supporting these standards as OPC Data Access servers (DA servers) and OPC-Alarms/Events serves (AE servers).

For Allen Bradley, you can then setup RSLinx as the OPC DA Server, and SAP as the OPC DA Client.

I looked for an OPC UA client for SAP but couldn't find any.
Since the topic is regarding an Allen Bradley PLC, then you can use RSLinx Gateway to provide remote OPC DA connections without resorting to DCOM.

Just for my information (and not knowing a lot about FTView), is it possible to have SAP create a recipe file that transfers to the PanelView+ directly? I am sorry for not mentioning that their is also a PanelView+ in the picture.