Save Project to MMC - Simatic Manager

cwallz

Hi, All

I have been tasked with uploading configs from two running Siemens PLCs. One from an ET200 and one from a S7-300. I have no real previous experience with PLCs and I have encountered a problem that I have been unable to solve.

I have managed to upload from the running PLCs via Upload to PG on Simatic Manager but I am having an issue when trying to save this project to a MMC. I am receiving an error message when trying to save to memory card, which states the file I am trying to save is too large for the MMC. I have a 128kb MCC and the file is 598kb. The MMC that is installed in the running PLC is also 128kb.

I am wondering if I am trying to save unnecessary files and if it is only the blocks that are required to be saved to the MMC. I have managed to copy and paste the blocks to the MMC but I receive an error message saying the SFB block is unable to be copied over. I am not confident that this card would work should it be required.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

SFC and SFB are built in system blocks in PLC (Numbers depend of firmware and CPU version). They are located on PLC automatically and don't need copying (Still you see them on PG online and offline view.)

Is your card empty?
You would need Siemens prommer (pricy) for card and transferring step project with that directly from PG (Field laptop).

Another method is to have spare CPU, making overall reset for card and them transfer project to spare mem. card.

Don't brick your original CPU and card.

And welcome to forum.

It is not mandatory to store the STEP 7 project on the CPU. The "Save Project to Memory Card" is basically the "Archive" function (which stores the project in a zip file) and transfers it to the MMC on the CPU. Typically there is not enough space for that, unless you have a bigger MMC (typically 1MB or higher).

If you do Project -> Archive (STEP 7 V5.x or TIA Portal V1x), it stores your project as a zip file on your hard disk (or USB disk... wherever you choose).