Scada Info

anks

Hello,

We are planning to integrate five SLC500 PLC located at various sites in an area less than 2 miles, now the customer wants to monitor all the sites through their control room on a regular PC (windows based system), I have worked on various PLCs but have not done SCADA job previously, was wondering if wonderware will be a good option to monitor allen bradley PLC tags, the place will be going wifi in couple of months, can anyone guide me how should i kick start these stuff & any hidden points which I need to take care of.
The above PLCs are already been coded by us & right now taking care of individual control systems.

Thanks.

My best recommendation is to go to AB web page, then look for encompass partners, then look for radio communication companies and there you will find several companies with a lot of experience in projects like yours. I've never worked with scada other the Rsview SE or Rsview32, so these are the only ones i can recommend

I have done a project somewhat like this in the past.

I had remote PLC's communicating wirelessly to a central "Data Concentrator". Then communicated with this "Data Concentrator" to the SCADA system.

anks said:
Hello,

We are planning to integrate five SLC500 PLC located at various sites in an area less than 2 miles, now the customer wants to monitor all the sites through their control room on a regular PC (windows based system), I have worked on various PLCs but have not done SCADA job previously, was wondering if wonderware will be a good option to monitor allen bradley PLC tags, the place will be going wifi in couple of months, can anyone guide me how should i kick start these stuff & any hidden points which I need to take care of.
The above PLCs are already been coded by us & right now taking care of individual control systems.

Thanks.

Hi anks,

The SCADA system depends on your level of knowledge basically. Wonderware Intouch is usually my first call because it's not tied down to communicating to any particular PLC manufacturer but this can make communications slightly more difficult (although i've used most of the popular SCADA software) .

If your systems are all Rockwell PLC's why not look at RSView from the same manufacturer, you can more or less guarentee that the SCADA will talk to the PLC's with a minimum of setup time/expense.

I do agree that a data concentrator like Oakley has suggested is a good idea. A PLC (only has to be a PSU and CPU) local to the SCADA is a nice way to do it with your remote CPU's talking to the local one (via radio or phone) and your local CPU communicating to your SCADA via Ethernet so you don't need any special network cards in the PC.

Cheers,

Lee

thanks a lot guys for ur replies, i guess probably will go with RSView SE, was talking to the rockwell tech support & he advised me how to approach the stuff, wonderware was my first choice only becuase it is widely accepted SCADA software.

Citect is good too particularly if there are also going to be other brands of PLC or equipment in the system. They have drivers for just about everything and they all come with the package at no extra cost.

If you are going to do trending their trend page is the best I have seen.

Download from www.citect.com a limited working copy.