Schneider M580 communicate to Modbus TCP slave

lesmar96

Lifetime Supporting Member
Looking for some advice on a project.

The controller is a BMEP584040. There is a RIO ring with several drops with Quantum I/O. On this ring, there are also 3 DRS switches with p/n MCSESM083F23F1.
The customer's goal is to monitor the integrity of this ring and display an alarm in the Scada if a portion of the ring would fail. This is not too difficult using the DDT variables of the Quantum I/O. The deeper problem is the DRS switches.

We have thought of simply doing Modbus TCP. But I am not very familiar with the M580 and continually get confused with Schneider's various protocol options.

Would doing a generic Modbus TCP slave using Read_var or using IO Scanning be better? I have read and researched alot but there were too many things that I couldn't find documentation for.

The DRS switch does support Modbus TCP has shown in the attached. That doesn't look to difficult, but I was not able to find clear documentation on the ADDMX block and I was running into issues adding a network to control expert.

So, I have researched several ways and none of it made sense to me, in my limited exposure to how Schneider Control Expert handles this.
What's your recommendation on how to best do this?? Thanks!!

Image 12-13-23 at 2.11 PM.jpg

TCSESM083F23F1 should support EIP / DTM communications. If you login to switch and download DTM file from switch then you can import it to M580.

After that you can make communication with EIP protocol.

You still need to configure variables as data is readed as array.

It is probably still easier but DTM files are little bit control expert version locked. Updating control expert version afterwards is litle bit harder as DTM file versios needs to match between different control experts versions.

If youuse same Control expert version and don't jump from V14 or V15 to V16 or newer then DTM only needs one installation on your computer.

Same can be done whit modbus, but then communication needs more work.

You can read switch port status, disable / eneble ports, read temp, etc.

Both modbus and EIP protocols needes enabling on switch. Have done that several years ago.

EIP could be documented better for switch.

Last edited:
Thanks, @Lare.
For some reason, I hadn't thought much of using DTMs.

I have sucessfully added to my project, but I will need to wait a few days till I can bench test this for sure with the physical switch.

Thanks, @Lare.
For some reason, I hadn't thought much of using DTMs.

I have sucessfully added to my project, but I will need to wait a few days till I can bench test this for sure with the physical switch.

Hopefully you have windows 7 computer for configuring these switches. Java needs to be pretty old and allmost all security settings disabled. Also webrowser security needs probably some settings for login. :oops:

Just for clarification, we have the MCSESM083F23F1 which is the current replacement for the TCSESM083F23F1.

Just for clarification, we have the MCSESM083F23F1 which is the current replacement for the TCSESM083F23F1.

Okey. It is more easy to login than old TCSESM.

It also supports EIP.

Is MCSESM supported nowadays for Schneider IO connections?

Before TCSESM was only recomended to MRP rings as it has predefined configs for different connections.

But I don't see the MCSESM083F23F1 as available to add in the DTM Browser in Control Expert v.15

But I don't see the MCSESM083F23F1 as available to add in the DTM Browser in Control Expert v.15

You can download it from Switch.

Advanced > Industrial Protocols > EtherNet/IP

Then download EDS and import it to control expert.
Reboot of control expert is needed so that EDS is installed on restart.