Scopemeter recommendations

califflash

I've run into nearly a dozen issues in the last month in which having a scope meter would have been very handy. I have gotten my boss interested in the time savings that one would have given us and the vast amount of data that they would provide. I am of course receiving push back on cost.

Does any one have any recommendations for a scope meter that is more affordable than the Fluke 123?

I'm a controls engineer for a large manufacturer. We also build and integrate our own equipment. I would be the only one with access to it so "robustness" would not be as large an issue as if I was buying one for the maintenance department. I'm looking for a 20mhz scope, data logging, and the ability to offload to the computer. I would be doing everything from checking encoder signals and vfd output to capturing voltage/current data for 75kW IR ovens.

Thanks in advance.

I would look on Ebay for a Fluke. I bought a Fluke 123 recently with everything except a case for $400.

I am sure there are cheaper scope meters out there but nothing beats a Fluke as far as I am concerned.

I totally agree with you Bullzi. Ebay is where I look for my personal gear much of the time and I won't buy anything but Fluke. But I don't think that buying company gear from ebay would be acceptable. Hence my question. Thanks for the input.

But I don't think that buying company gear from ebay would be acceptable.
Why not? My last boss bought a lot of company equipment from Ebay. He preferred buying used discounted stuff over new any day of the week.

Thanks all for the recommendations. I will try again with the higher ups this week.

P.S. Not surprisingly Amazon turned out to be cheaper than our price at grainger. What was surprising is that the complete setup of everything I could need was less than half the cost of grainger. Just in case anyone also gets push back on cost in the future!

I am not sure I have ever found a bargain on Grainger. I guess their niche is ease of access because everyone seems to use them for at least some things. Two hundred percent sounds pretty typical to me.

My experiences with a Fluke 123 were very pleasant. I have not used any other, and it was a few years ago when I occasionally called on either the Fluke or a big heavy dual trace scope we had a cart built underneath :/

Last edited:
I agree with the Fluke. I have a 199 that has served me very well for years($500 with film still on display, years ago). I replaced my 97 model with it.

Might look into the older 90 series if money is an issue and you have an extension cord. The 90 series seemed to eat batteries imho. Good stuff the Fluke's are.