Selecting a PLC help

Scoop

Hey guys, I need some help in determining a PLC for a project. I've never used a PLC or Ladder Logic before and have done some research but am still a bit overwhelmed at the number of different options. I'll be controlling a Variable Frequency Drive (VFD) that has analog inputs of 0-10vdc and 4-20mA, analog outputs 0-10vdc, as well as a 0-10vdc transducer. How do I go about spec'ing out a suitable PLC? I'd prefer to stick with AB if at all possible. Any help is appreciated, thanks.

Hi Scoop,
The first thing to do it make up a I/O list. Find out what you will need for the whole project. Once you know that it is much simpler to spec out a PLC. Myself I also prefer AB PLC's so a Micrologix 1100 or 1400 might work for your application. If you want to step up the the Compactlogix line then a 1769-L16 might be a good solution.

I run a UL508A panel shop in Colorado so if you are looking for some professional help with this project drop me a Private Message. If you are looking to take it on yourself then post as much as you can here and everyone will do there best to help.

Welcome to the Forum by the way.

I second Bullzi's post. If you want to stick with AB, your *best* bet is a 1769-L16ER-BB1B with a 1734-OE2C analog output card. That will mean you're using the latest hardware, the latest software, and so on.

However that doesn't come cheap, so if you need to save some $$, look at a MicroLogix 1100. I don't know the model numbers for those off the top of my head, but you'd also need a 1762-OF4 for an analog output (or perhaps a 1762-IF2OF2, which has two analog in and two analog out. A bit more flexible).

Depending on the drive you're using, if you went with the first option you could potentially control it via ethernet. If you've never used a PLC before, that would admittedly be jumping in the deep end, but if you're willing to give it a crack you'll probably get some good advice here to help you along. It'd save you the cost of the analog output card too, which is typically quite expensive.