Sensing a metal scrap trailer

boiler-todd

Hi everyone. I have an application and I am looking for some useful advice. I need to sense a metal scrap trailer so that when it gets pulled out and replaced that I have my AB 5/05 record the time stamp. We want to simply know when our trailers are getting pulled out so we can make sure we are getting proper payment back for the scrap metal. Financial Controls group mandate.

Anyway, I am looking at using a Banner M-gage S18M to detect the trailer. Has anyone used these before that can tell me if they like them or not.

As an enhancement, I wanted the PLC to just save the time stamp to an Xcel spreadsheet. I have never done this before. Can someone tell me what is needed to do this. Would I have to upgrade RSLinx from my Classic version?

Thanks for your help!

Look at a ground loop sensor. It is what they use at stop light and automatic overhead doors. You can adjust the threshold up to the point a tape measure enters the field and it will sense.

I know of several federal buildings that have them so sensitive that a steel toe or steel shank boot will be picked up.

RE: Sensing a Metal scrap trailer

You may want to consider putting scales under the axles (wheels) you can get a weight (to confirm your getting credited for the right amount of scrap) and the return to zero gives you a time reference.
Bill