Servo Motor, Unidrive SP, PLC 5

Shawn_Mac

I'm replacing an old motor and upgrading a machines control system.

Currently have Unidrive SP in place and looking to get an AC servo motor inplace and control it with HMI digital thumbwheels through PLC 5 via devicenet (1771-SDN) input to my drive.

My question isn't really about the PLC cause the HMI is in place the devicenet input will be new and the motor new but I'm wondering if it is ok to use the Unidrive SP for my drive or do I need a Servo drive in this application.

The Unidrive SP is kind of a one-size-fits-all drive, similar to the AB PowerFlex 700 in that way. It can act as a high horsepower servo drive. It have the drive capability to do that. I'm not a big fan of their internal motion control stuff. But if you do the motion control external I think the drive would perform just fine.

Keith