setting up a computer on site, to connect remotely

As much as I would like to be able to remotely troubleshoot via Internet connection, I know all too well that no IT department in its right mind would ever allow anything to get behind their firewall. This would be an exception, and, given the number of hackers, viruses and worms, such security policy is perfectly understood. Like it or not, a dial-up connection through a dedicated modem will remain numero uno for quite some time, although VPN technology offers some promise.

I have to admit, I am lucky in that respect, since my current job is designing controls for the custom equipment that remains within my company. Therefore, everything is on the company net, behind the firewall, be that in the States, Mexico, Germany, China or Japan. We have standardized on providing an Ethernet module for everything more complicated than a simple conveyor. Although this is not a cheap option, the money we saved by fixing the problems remotely instead of flying to location were substantial. It is definitely worth it.

Pierre

It is not a fact its my opinion. if you install RS logix on computer you need license, unless you copy the key.The host PC must to have RS Logix(the PC neer the PLC)
Do you have to buy OS for this PC?PC anywhere? why not RS Logix.
I am not low expert.I use to install legal software and avoid problem in the future.(one of my customer told me the fine for not ligal sofe in the Stats is $100.000 I dont know if it true)
This computer can be use for other things too. can you control on that?.

If someone know more about that please share it with us.

Arik

Arik, I think that was Pierre's point, the PC that you connect to has the software...why not its the customers PC and system, they pay for the licensing. This way that computer can be used on site OR online to connect to the system for troubleshooting etc.

Someone has to have the software on some computer somewhere...why not 1 specific computer in one location that can be accessed?

IF an engineer/tech etc wants/needs the software on a personal PC or business laptop ...yes then there may be a license issue.

Technically, a PC can be used as a gateway and doesnt have to have the software installed on it, it just provides a physical connection. This depends on how its setup though.

Ron

You right the remote PC need only the sofware like PC Anywhere.
The license issue is for the host PC.
If you set this PC. you responsible to license.Or the owner of the PC.

Someone have to pay for of that.

I respond regarding to the original thread.To taj who said there is no licence issue for this PC.

Arik

Remoting in on PC Anywhere

Hello, Folks. I didnt realize that that my comments on using "PC Anywhere" would cause such a diversion from thepoint. I do believe that the "host' would indeed have a legal copy of Logix/Linx. I am not condoning the use of "illegal software". I understand and respect Arikby's point. However, I sincerely believe that if the customer pays for the software license on the "host" PC, then a "troubleshooter" can dial-in and take control for the limited purposes of "troubleshooting". I also believe, that in the real world, the shop dialing in would already have the appropriate licenses for these products. Back to the point of the original post, what was the result? How was the problem fixed, or is it still being investigated? Very lively discussion though! Enjoyable.
tj

If you can tals customer in letting you use one of their PCs that already have RSLogix and PC Anywhere you are all set.

However:
PC Anywhere is just so slooooooooooooooow!!!
I remember days when it was running acceptable even on a dialup. Today I'm very frustrated with it even on a 2-node LAN! Another frequent annoyance is that PC Anywhere refuses to start
just beacuse it has found that graphic adapter is not using accelerated mode. Even if this was corrected, PC Anywhere will not start until you (or someone on site) logon as admin and change it
from Compatibility to Accelerated and reboot the PC.
This is just NOT professional software I used to know.
Dear Simantec, brush up...

The following is a rough transcript of a conversation I just had with my aforementioned pal:

Me: "I was on the PLC forum and I recommended TightVNC as remote control software."

Pal: "Oh, I hope you mentioned the security issues!"

Me: "Security issues... What security issues?"

Pal: "Yeah! It is great software but at work we only use it on the LANs unless there is an encrypted tunnelling port available."

Me: "Tunnelling port?"

At this point he went into a longwinded explanation of internet security protocols and their usages. Hardly any of which I can remember, because my eyes glazed over and I started losing the will to live...

Anyway, the upshot is that it is possible to make TightVNC or any other version of VNC software more secure by using some other software, but it isn't very straightforward. (Not to me anyway)

But hey, it is free!

Anthony