Setting up SimaticNET OPC for S7-300

mikas_m

Hello to all,
I have an application that consists of S7-300 with PLC program created in STEP7 Simatic Manager (v5.6 SP2) with SIMATIC NET PC SW v12.0 SP2.

I would like to set up an OPC server and then use OPC scout to access variables in the DBs.
I have searched the forum and found threads like this one, but I don't have TIA application.

When I start Scout v10, I can see that server is running normally as shown in the attached file.

Do I need to use station configurator to add OPC server like shown in the attached picture?
I have found some resource on YT, but that involves changes in HWConfig of the existing project, but I'm not sure if this is the only way to do it. I would not like to change existing PLC program and its configuration. Is it possible to do this without changes in the PLC program configuration itself?

Thank you.

SettingUpOPC.jpg

I would like to set up an OPC server and then use OPC scout to access variables in the DBs.
I have searched the forum and found threads like this one, but I don't have TIA application.
I think you can use the 1st description in the FAQ. With Simatic Net V12 there will be a cut-down version of TIA that is similar to use as a full TIA.
(disclaimer, I havent used this myself, since I have a full TIA).

When I start Scout v10, I can see that server is running normally as shown in the attached file.
Click on the [+] next to the server name to expand. It should display what topics are configured. When an S7 connection is setup, you should be able to browse to S7:[connection name].
But since you haven't setup an actual OPC connection yet, you wont find any.

I have found some resource on YT, but that involves changes in HWConfig of the existing project, but I'm not sure if this is the only way to do it. I would not like to change existing PLC program and its configuration. Is it possible to do this without changes in the PLC program configuration itself?
There are 2 kinds of S7 connection types.
Fully configured, requires that the connection is loaded on both partners.
Un-configured, only requires it is loaded in the active side (the OPC server).
For an un-configured connection, all you need is the IP address of the PLC, and Rack (always 0 for S7-300) and Slot (always 2 for S7-300).

Last edited:
Hi JesperMP and thank you very much for your explanation.
Yes, you're right, there are no S7 connections as you can see in the attached picture.
From your reply, I conclude there is no need to use Station Configurator or?

Can you provide link to this "1st description in the FAQ"?
I guess I need this unconfigured version, so can you give me hints where I need to enter the required data:
IP address of the PLC, and Rack (always 0 for S7-300) and Slot (always 2 for S7-300).

IP address and subnet mask is known to me, the question is where I need to enter this data on the OPC server side. I forgot to mention that PC on which this is running has win7 OS.

OPCScoutServ2png.jpg

Last edited:
Hi JesperMP,

as far as I can see from the manual, I indeed need to add PC station in the HWConfig of the PLC project, compile and download to PLC.
And then, I need to use station configuration in the SIMATIC NET.
As I can see, changes must be down to the PLC project. It is unavoidable.
I'll try all these steps and provide feedback.

I am certain that you do not need to download to the PLC.
That is only required for a fully specified connection. When you add the connection and is asked to select the connection type, select unspecified S7 connection.

I am not familiar with Simatic Net V12.
I think the steps are like this:
Create a PC Station.
Add the interface (network card) to the PC station.
Set the network card to networked and with the IP address.
Add the OPC server to the PC station.
Select the OPC Server and then 'add connection'.
Specify Type = S7 connections and then 'unspecified'.
Add the details Name, IP address, rack and slot.
Download to the PC Station.

Hi JesperM,
I wasn't successful in this try.
I decided to create an empty project and to use PLCSIM, just to have everything from scratch.
I have created a simple network in OB1 and two shared DBs (DB1 and DB2) with some bool, integer and real variables there.

I have set up static IP address of the PC to 192.168.0.2/255.255.255.0 and CPU PN address is 192.168.0.1 with the same subnet mask. This is to ensure that both PLC and PC station is on the same network.
Then I have added IE general v8.2 and OPC server v8.2 to the PC station, chosen "Use symbols" to ALL, but instead of unspecified I have chosen PLC as specified connection, since I want to have a working OPC connection first.
I didn't use Station Configuration Editor at all (from Simatic NET).

Everything is compiled without errors. Yet in the OPCScout, under S7 connection nothing is shown.

So, I started Station Configuration Editor and added IE General and OPC server just like in the pdf file (instructions for S7-1200).
Here I can see that OPC server has a broken status.

Do you have any suggestions what I need to troubleshoot further?

OPC_trial1.jpg

You cannot connect an OPC Server to PLCSIM S7-300/400. You need a real S7 PLC.

It seems that you are using STEP7 V5 setup the PC Station with OPC server V8.2.
I am not sure that you can load an OPC Server V8.2 into a PC Station with Simatic Net V12. Maybe you can, but I am not sure.
Is the screenshot with the Station Configuration Editor from your programming PC with STEP7 V5 and Simatic Net V8.2 or is it from the PC with Simatic Net V12 ?

If you are setting up a fully specified connection, then it must be loaded into both the OPC Server and the PLC.
I dont think you have actually loaded the connection into the OPC Server. If you had, you would see in the OPC scout an additional 'connection_1' under \S7:, not only '@Localserver'.

Hello JesperMP.
If this doesn't work with PLCSIM, then I'll try it later during the day with real PLC.
Regarding other information, I think the following information can be useful.
The version of SIMATIC NET that is installed is SIMATIC NET PC Sftware v12.0+SP2 and STEP7 version is v5.6+SP2+HF5
I have followed this YT demonstration until 4:09, where, in my case there was no accessible PC machine to download the configuration to.
Version 8.2 that were mentioned are actually firmware versions of IE General and OPC Server from the HWConfig.

NoAccessiblePCmachine.png

According to the video you can download an OPC server configured as V8.2 to a PC with Simatic Net V12. So you should be able to follow the video.

In the video the PC is the same as used for STEP7. That is also possible.

What is puzzling to me is this download shown at 4:09 in the video. This download should be to the PC station and not on the PLC, so PLCSIM shouldn't have anything to do with this part. at least.
So, I cannot explain why I don't see any node in the list even after pressing "Update" button.
Download from HwConfig in the SIMATIC PC station should be independant from the PLC/PLCSIM.

So does your PC Station actually download and no errors?

He doesn't show it in the video but I have always had to change my pg/pc interface to PC Internal (to download to the pc station)

thoughts?