Setting up SimaticNET OPC for S7-300

OK, I had a chance to connect to a real PLC and use real world PLC program.
This time everything was pretty much straightforward like described in the video and indeed there is a S7_connection shown in the OPCScout.
OPC server is running normally, but variables are read with quality code "invalid", which means OPCscout doesn't read the variables.
I have made a test with Test variable.

Now, partial success is achieved, but the next step is to troubleshoot this further, trying to see why Quality is invalid. I have tried with cycle time in OPC 1000 ms instead of default 100 ms, but that didn't solve the problem.
PLC time is OK even though it is shown wrong in teh OPC scout.

OPC_trial2_PartSuccess.png

You can configure it same way than Jesper's Siemens link shows.

1200 configuration only differs of rack and slot. For 300 you need to use rack/slot 0/2 on unspecified address details.

As you haven't had download settings to PC station, there is not all connection settings for working connection.

OPC settings can also maded directly to connection settings program. It isn't as straight forward as OPC symbol file is also needed configure on excel or notepad.

On that method station configuration is left empty.

Hi, I wasn't clear enough, I'm sorry. When connected to a real PLC, I have followed the YT video posted above. All steps worked including the download shown at 4:09. So I have downloaded PC station from the Netpro. Station configurator now shows OPC working connection and in the Scout tjere is a Su_connection. I can see all symbols from PLC under the tree SYM. It "just" shows invalid quality even though symboms are present and opc server is running on local PC station.

Which windows version you have?

The products of the SIMATIC NET DVD V12 support the following 32-Bit and 64-Bit operating systems:

· Windows 7 Ultimate, Professional (32 and 64 Bit), incl. SP1
· Windows 8 Pro (32 and 64 Bit)
· Windows Server 2008 R2 (64 Bit), incl. SP1
· Windows Server 2012 (64 Bit)

If you have one of these, then booting windows and looking OPC scout again. Is there any difference after PC boot?

Which windows version you have?

The products of the SIMATIC NET DVD V12 support the following 32-Bit and 64-Bit operating systems:

· Windows 7 Ultimate, Professional (32 and 64 Bit), incl. SP1
· Windows 8 Pro (32 and 64 Bit)
· Windows Server 2008 R2 (64 Bit), incl. SP1
· Windows Server 2012 (64 Bit)

If you have one of these, then booting windows and looking OPC scout again. Is there any difference after PC boot?

Hi Lare,
the OS is Windows 7 Enterprise Edition. STEP 7 v5.6 SP2 and SIMATIC Net v12.
It can work as demonstrated in the YT video posted in previous posts.

Definitely, it won't work with PLCSIM. I don't know exactly why, but download to PC station from Netpro is not possible.
When PC is connected via TCP/IP (LAN port) to the real PLC, then this download passes OK.

Anyway, big step forward is the fact that I can see actual S7_conenction under S7 in the OPCScout.
Also, I can see all symbol variables (from Symbol table in the PLC), which is also good.
In the Station Configurator, I can see IE General and OPC server that have indication to work OK and OPC has a symbol in the column "Connection".

Now, I need to figure out why values are not read from the PLC and why Quality code is invalid.

From memory. I have had same issues on configuration years ago that communications didn't worked if loaded from project to newer NET versions even that OPC was selected 8.2 or below.
That was one reasons why maded alternative configuration communications settings insteas and leaved station configuration empty. It have pros and cons.

Never finded what was main config error as coms worked allways with below V8 Net installed versions.

Actually, I have the same, i.e. identical problem like described here in the Siemens support forum

It seems that no solution is suggested, but I don't know where to check these check "permit PUT/GET communication.....(OPC, HMI,...)"
I'm not sure where to find these settings

I decided to take another test.
I have created two connections.
Connection 1 is created on OPC server in Netpro but with unspecified partner. Under Address Details IP address of PLC/CPU is entered as well as rack and slot information.
Connection 2 is created between OPC and PLC CPU in usual way.
These connections details are shown in the attached picture.

With the connection nr. 1 it is not possible to see SYM (simbolic table) in the OPCScout, but variables can be manually added. When Monitoring option is turned ON, values are shown and the Quality is Good. There is a working connection and OPC Scout can monitor these variables.
On the other hand, with connction nr. 2 SYM can expose the complete list of symbols from PLC CPU, BUT it is not possible to monitor these variables, since quality is not valid.

For these cases Station Configurator shows OK states of IE General and OPC server. This is also shown in the attachment.
I really have no ide why is this the case.
Normally, I would expect that this fully specified connections (nr.2) should work.

Does anybody has any ide why this is the case?

TwoConnections.jpg

There are 2 kinds of S7 connection types.
Fully configured, requires that the connection is loaded on both partners.
Un-configured, only requires it is loaded in the active side (the OPC server).
For an un-configured connection, all you need is the IP address of the PLC, and Rack (always 0 for S7-300) and Slot (always 2 for S7-300).

As Jesper allready mentioned. Have you loaded hardare configuration also on PLC on specified connection?

(Download hardware from netpro also to PLC after compile)

Unspecified connection don't need settings on PLC side. PC configuration can be from intepended project or maded directly to PC station.

Hi Lare, I did download to all components, but I didn't manage to make it work with symbolic variable accessible.
Since I was running out of time and I have working connection (unspecified), I have created manually all variables I need, so I can continue my work.
Thank you and JesperMp for the help, thanks to you I managed to do what I wanted.