Setting Up Virtual Machines

The Plc Kid

I know many people here use virtual machines in some form or another. I use them to run automation software on win 7 and vista systems.

My question is should i make a seperate machine for plc programming software and another for HMI software in specific reference to rockwell products?

My thinking in doing 2 was factory talk view versions change a lot and sometimes conflict with other things but have 2 machines could be a pain. I was also thinking of doing snapshots with just logix 5,500,500 so a snapshot for each as well as a snapshot of FT View each version in it's own snapshot alone and then a snap shot with all logix and each version of ft view. HD space is no problem 750GB secondary HD apart from the OS HD which is solid state.

Anyone have a better idea or approach? What methods do you guys use?

I am an extreme case in that I need to run almost every version of Rockwell Software (5, 500, 5000, ME, SE, RSView32, Panelbuilder32), several GE Proficy, Modicon, Automation Direct, Citech, Intouch 7.11 to 10.5, IFIX plus a bunch of incompatible VPN clients. While it is extremely cumbersome space wise, for me the easiest way to deal with it is separate machines for all of the HMI/SCADA software versions as well as the Proficy and Modicon versions. Only RSLogix 5000 seems to allow multiple versions on the same install. I have over 40 separate VMs.
There is no other way to do Tech Support these days.

Be aware that snapshots are not quite the same thing as a copy of the virtual disk. When you take a snap shot a new virtual hard disk file is started. The new file records all changes made to the virtual disk, while the original virtual disk file remains frozen and unchanged. The VM uses the two files together to make the virtual disk. When you revert to a snapshot then the new file is just deleted - since no changes were made to the original virtual disk you have restored the machine to its original state. When you delete a snapshot then the original virtual disk file is modified to reflect every change made and the two images are reconciled.

Creating a new virtual hard disk from an existing one is called cloning and I think that is what you might really be wanting. Be careful when cloning and refer to your VM software documentation. If the virtual disk will be used on a different physical machine you can usually just make a copy of the virtual disk file using the host OS, but if it will be on the same machine use the VM software's cloning utility since the software requires a unique id for each of the local virtual disks. A cloned virtual hard disk can then be used in a new virtual machine.

When I create a new virtual hard drive/machine the first thing I do after I get the OS loaded and configured is clone the virtual hard drive. I keep the original and then create a new VM using the clone. The new VM is where I install the apps. Every time I need a new VM I can then refer back to the original and make another clone. This is much more efficient than creating a new VHD from scratch and reloading the OS.

Last edited:
What about the legal aspect of cloning? This will be checked by IT on a quarterly basis so i could not have the activation on multiple VM's and you are supposed to have a seperate windoze liscense for every VM?

To the best of my knowledge snapshots are never deleted unless you delete them or have the software configured to do so based on amout or disk space.

Creating a clean windowsw machine take snapshot install activations take snapshot,Install logix 5 take snapshot,revert to snapshot with just activations and install logix 500 take snapshot,etc.

Alaric how do you keep your installs legal using cloning?

Atleast bigger companys usually have vlk licensed windows, eg, they pay x amount and have one key that is used for windows. This can be done on cotracted amount of machines.

Dont know about AB stuff but others have possibility to have license server separate from the machine. So the program itsef checks for available license.

If you have volume licensing for windows you should be alright, as long as you have the extra seats available (Even if you don't, windows licensing is dirt cheap). As for the licensing for software, try to get as many network licenses as you can, install them all someplace safe (the host, or another dedicated VM just for licensing). If you can't use network licensing, try something like a USB stick with your licensing loaded onto it and just connect it to whichever VM you need to use at that point in time.

Licensing is always a funny thing when it comes to VMs, best solution is treat every VM like a physical machine, at least that way you wont get into legal troubles.