SEW Movitools Step 7 300

dahnuguy

Machine A has a Siemens PLC and ABB robots.

Machine B has a PC control and not ABB robots.

We are making machine B like machine A.

I have the PLC code for Machine A and the drawings for both machines as they are now.

The new drawings for the conversion of machine B will not be available until after the installation. The software of Machine A needs to be modified to make Machine B work correctly.

I am assured that both will be nearly identical. Yeah.

I am looking through the code getting familiar with it all so I can make whatever changes are necessary when the time comes and I have 3 or 4 hours to make it all work. I can't really do much else until I know what is where and what the actual differences are.

I have discovered the Movitools in the Machine A project. I don't understand what all the Movitools is for. On a different project, I wrote a simple block to control Movidrives and MoviMots without any Movitools.

Since I didn't use Movitools before, I am now wondering how is this better or different from accessing the drive directly as I did before?

The drives are connected by Profibus, and the process image contains all the I/O, so the drive inputs and outputs can be written and read directly.

I am sure there must be some advantage to using Movitools, but it seems complex and I can't get the examples to open. I "retrieved" the examples from SEW but they do not show up in the projects files to open.

http://download.sew-eurodrive.com/download/pdf/11611812.pdf

Also I have found 2 references to the magic blocks from SEW for Step7 but no acyal location is given to download said blocks.

http://seweurodrive.com/support/sof...rodukt=&software_nutzung=3&software_gruppe=12

These are the samples I found, but can't open / don't show up in the projects list.

Last edited:
Update

The samples are not archived Step7 projects. They are a collection of zipped files, some of which are Step7 projects.

Got that sorted.

Update:

After some investigation, the sample blocks are very similar to the blocks I wrote, except the customer wanted them to be FB instead of FC.

This is in the new project (Machine A from above):

CALL "FC_Movitools_V4.10 DPV1" FC 250
CommunicationDB:="MOVITOOLS_CDB_V4.10" //Movitools above MPI V.4.10 DPV1
InstDB_SFB52 :="IDB_SFB52 MOVITOOLS" //Instance DB of SFB 52 MOVITOOLS
InstDB_SFB53 :="IDB_SFB53 MOVITOOLS" //Instance DB of SFB 53 MOVITOOLS
busy :=M100.0
version_error :=M100.1

It looks like this block is using the two DBs to set up communications with the MoviDrive.
This seems like such a round about way to handle this, there must be some advantage I am not seeing.

FC250 is write prot

Hey fellows,
I just want to make something like this, I'm using the communication RS232 with the RS485 converter, I just got the communication (Tx + Rx blinking) and I'm using the program MCD-Tools.
Guys, I just want to use the MD_Assembler and I'm asking if I keep this communication or if I have to use the fieldbus one. Can you guys help me on this question ?