Sharing Studio5000 and FTVME Projects

ndzied1

Lifetime Supporting Member
Hi,

We don't do many Rockwell projects but recently did onw with a Control Logix and Panelview.

What files do customers expect when you send them a copy of these projects?

I think for the Studio5000 Logix it's just the .ACH file.
What about the FTV ME? Do I zip up the whole directory?
Do I just provide the .mer file.

All software we developed is the customer's. They should be able to open and edit everything on their end.

Thanks in advance.

Hi,

We don't do many Rockwell projects but recently did onw with a Control Logix and Panelview.

What files do customers expect when you send them a copy of these projects?

I think for the Studio5000 Logix it's just the .ACH file.
What about the FTV ME? Do I zip up the whole directory?
Do I just provide the .mer file.

All software we developed is the customer's. They should be able to open and edit everything on their end.

Thanks in advance.

For ME, using the application manager to make a backup of the project and sending the .APA file will allow them to restore it all and create runtimes as needed. For Studio5000 should just be the .ACD.

For ME, using the application manager to make a backup of the project and sending the .APA file will allow them to restore it all and create runtimes as needed. For Studio5000 should just be the .ACD.
+1

Although I would probably include the .MER file as well as the .APA so if eg they need to replace the panel they can just drop the file in the new one without having to go through the whole restore/recreate process.

Also if for whatever reason you are developing for an older firmware level than your Studio install and the customer's Studio install is not as new as yours then they won't be able to use the APA without upgrading (example situation: customer requests v12 runtime because that's the version of Studio they use, you run v13 but create a v12 .MER as requested -- the .APA will not be able to be restored by their v12 because it was created by v13, but the .MER will).

For FT View, as cmaag02 mentions, use the Application Manager to create a backup. Then send them that backup (.APA) file. If they happen to be using older software, they wouldn't be able to open the application. Then in that case, create a Runtime (.MER). You can create a runtime that matches the version of software they are using.

The Application Manager has a Backup and a Restore function for just this purpose. Do NOT zip up the folder and send that to them. That will not work. At least not without a lot of work. I use this analogy...I can go to the Microsoft Office folder on my PC and copy all the files to another PC. But if I run it on that other PC, it isn't going to work. Excel needs to be installed. FT View applications are sort of the same. Applications have to be registered in the FT Directory for them to be recognized and opened. The Application Manager takes care of this for us. Simply copying the files does not do this.

And yes, the .ACD file is what is needed for RSLogix/Studio 5000. Again, same issue here that they would have to have the same version of software. But at least this time you can simply copy the file.

OG

Last edited: