Siemens 1200 series Expansion Modules

mbowling

I am looking into upgrading some of my equipment to the Siemens 1217C PLC and need to know if the 6ES7223 Expansion Module (w/ 16DI and 16DO) are considered to be one module or four modules. I ask because I need to put a couple of these in and the data sheet on the 1217C Cpu states that it may only handle 8 external expansion modules.

Each of the modules would be considered 1 module. I have attached the PDF tech sheets for the relay and transistor versions of the modules you're asking about.

sfindley is correct, each physical module counts as one module, regardless how many bytes of IO it has built in.

I wanted to doublecheck something on the 1217C. Are you planning on using the built in Line Driver IO? I've seen a couple situations where someone ordered a 1217C as a bigger 1215C, and didn't realize it had a different IO layout.

Thank you sfindley. And MK no I have not looked into the the actual layout of the 1217c. I needed to first know if the CPU was capable of handling the io capability that we needed of it. We are changing from the S5 95u so we will be rebuilding complete cabinets. But to answer your question I was planning on using the CPU's io's to save on cost and cabinet space. If I am looking at the wrong CPU then I would love the input before I get too far with the 1217c. We are trying to stay with the 1200 series if at all posible.

I think the 1215C is the largest 1200 series CPU recommended for most applications, and has both DC and relay output versions available. With the other 1200 CPU's (1211, 1212, 1214, 1215), the amount of memory and IO expansion scales up with price. They all have the same three power options (AC/DC/Relay, DC/DC/DC, DC/DC/RLY), have very similar onboard IO layouts, and are programmed the same.

The 1217C is a little different. It has some 24V DC IO, but it also has some Line driver IO, which is a very high speed (1MHz) differential setup at a differnet voltage (2.5V maybe?). I've never seen an application that called for it; I'm told it was developed for a very specific user segment. Unless you specifically want Line Driver IO, generally you'll want to stick with something in the range of 1211-1215, and leave the 1217 alone.

Hope that helps!