Siemens 224XP comms

Johnny T

Hi

I have a job that requires talking to a barcode scanner and a PC via RS232. I wondered if a S7-224XP has two usable RS232 ports on it. I have been told that it has but I can't find any information on the net to confirm this.

Has anyone any experience of this PLC? Or any information on it?

Many thanks

JT ;-)

The two Ports on the S7-224XP are RS485! And can both be configured to read/write ASCII (named "FreePort" mode)

To connect an RS232 device, you need a RS232-RS485 converter. Siemens advices to your their PC-PPI cable (6ES79013DB300XA)

good luck!

Freeport

Leonardo said:
The two Ports on the S7-224XP are RS485! And can both be configured to read/write ASCII (named "FreePort" mode)

To connect an RS232 device, you need a RS232-RS485 converter. Siemens advices to your their PC-PPI cable (6ES79013DB300XA)

good luck!

I have used freeport out of one of their MPI ports to move data to a PC for internal use.
Yes, you do need a PC-PPI cable.
Keep in mind that once the MPI port is configured via the PLC program for Freeport, it becomes dedicated port.
You definetely need a dual port PLC for your application.

Many thanks for the responses. I'm receiving the scanner etc next week so I'll have a look at them and then buy in the PLC to test.

I didn't realise the ports were RS485 so that info alone has really helped me out.

Thanks Leonardo and bkottaras

Cheers

JT :)