Siemens DCS Data to Excel by time?

leem2209

Lifetime Supporting Member
Hi All...

I'm looking for a method of writing Siemens DCS tag data to an Excel file at a specific time and/or date (EG Midnight or 1st of the month)

I've seen in the manual how it's possible via a button in Excel, but I want this to be done automatically by time.

Also, if possible, I want it to write to the same excel sheet every time but in a new row, not to create a new excel workbook.

I've got datamonitor running for some reports but again, this creates a new workbook each time so doesn't contain the previous data to track changes over time.

I'm struggling to find a solution to this but surely it must be possible?

We are running WinCC v7.2 on our DCS.

TIA!

Hi All...

I'm looking for a method of writing Siemens DCS tag data to an Excel file at a specific time and/or date (EG Midnight or 1st of the month)

I've seen in the manual how it's possible via a button in Excel, but I want this to be done automatically by time.

Also, if possible, I want it to write to the same excel sheet every time but in a new row, not to create a new excel workbook.

I've got datamonitor running for some reports but again, this creates a new workbook each time so doesn't contain the previous data to track changes over time.

I'm struggling to find a solution to this but surely it must be possible?

We are running WinCC v7.2 on our DCS.

TIA!

I don't have an example, but I'm fairly certain you could at the least write to a CSV file via a script, and trigger that script at a specified time.

If you have a running code sample at button press, you can reuse this code in a global action (VBS or C), and set the trigger to cyclic (every x sec / min / hours) or time trigger,

Once you have access to the excel workbook, you can loop through the cells and find the last empty cell(s) and use this as write position. If you are sure that no other is modifying the Excel file by hand, you can save the last write position in the Excel file which maybe faster if the file gets bigger.

Code example to write to an Excel workbook from the WinCC manual (for 7.4 but should work also in 7.2):
https://support.industry.siemens.com/cs/ww/en/view/109736230/45950309387

In the mid 1990's, IBM predicted the end of the 'paper' office within a decade.

Within a month, the trend toward prophecy ramped up with a trade journal running an article predicting that the single loop PID controllers market would migrate 100% to PLCs within a decade.

In the office earlier this week, I ran across 6 cases of copier paper and about 200 Honeywell single loop controllers on the shelf. So much for predictions.

In the mid 1990's, IBM predicted the end of the 'paper' office within a decade.

Within a month, the trend toward prophecy ramped up with a trade journal running an article predicting that the single loop PID controllers market would migrate 100% to PLCs within a decade.

In the office earlier this week, I ran across 6 cases of copier paper and about 200 Honeywell single loop controllers on the shelf. So much for predictions.

I think you replied to the wrong thread, but excellent point regardless.

Our office keeps trying to clean up the brochure shelf, but the marketing guys keep filling it up again with brochures that mostly don't get used before they are outdated or irrelevant.