Siemens kp700 upload hmi in tia portal

stu

Hi all
Looking at siemens tia portal project,I need to upload
A project off a 1500 plc as I don't have back up ? I know we can detect the hardware detection and upload the plc project, to add and upload a g120 drive there is accessible device .
But how can you upload a hmi kp700 and runtime ?
Is this possible in tia v15.1
This is all because I don't have back up program as the oem has gone out of business,the machine is working , just want to be safe
Can a hmi and runtime be uploaded to a tia-portal project

alas, the HMI can't be uploaded. You can do a binary backup, to transfer to a new panel, but you can't view or edit the file, it's essentially just a device image.

The older generation HMIs could upload to engineering, but the feature was implemented dumbly (off by default, also required external storage) and no one used it, so Siemens decided it wasn't needed anymore, i guess.

How do I load the backup into a new project?

You don't load it into the project; you load it directly into the panel. You can copy it over manually with USB or SD card, transfer it with Prosave (maintenance tool) or i think via Portal.

The backup should copy everything on the panel (project, recipes, users, etc) and move it to the new one. Not sure if new panel needs to be at the correct OS version already, or if the backup handles that as well.