Siemens MPI Interface

Otacustes

Hi all,
I am trying to get online with a RS232 MPI interface and am wondering if anyone can tell me the correct settings to use? I am a little confused whether I have the correct ones!!

Whenever I try to get online Step7 hangs and stops responding and I am wondering if it is the communications side of things holding up as all I have is the power light onthe adaptor and no activity light. I have to reboot before I can gain access to the communication settings under the control panel.

Is there anything like Allen Bradleys RSLinx where the communications can be checked out prior to actually getting online?

All help is appreciated.

When you start Simatic Manager, in the menu, there is an icon with an i in it, click that and it will show if any nodes are accessible.

Make sure you have it properly configured in the PG/PC Interface in the control panel.

If you are using a USB to serial adapter it may not work, I think I got it to work with a PCMCIA to serial adapter though. I haven't worked with Siemens recently so hope this helps and maybe Jesper or one another Siemen expert will see it and respond.

Start the Simatic manager. click Options. choose Set PC/PG Interface.
In the Set PC/PG interface window choose PC adapter (MPI) then click properties.
In the MPI tab check the PG/PC is only master on bus.
choose address=1 and timeout=30s.
choose network transmission rate=187.5 kbps (you need to check the MPI adapter switch for the speed)
and choose highest station address=31.
in the local connection tab choose connection to COM1 and click OK.

i wish this helps

Thank you vdery much guys....you don't want to know how long I buggered around with this trying to get communications!!

Does anyone know how to reset to factory defaults? I am trying to wipe the memory clean. I also have a memory card, If anyone can offer advise on clearing that as well it would also be appreciated.

Thanks again.

I am no expert like others here on siemens!

Just a beginner......

Try this

From Simatic Manager whilst online with the plc

First clear the memory card

File > S7 Memory Card > Delete

Then to clear all OBs and RAM

PLC > Diagnostics Settings > Operating Mode > Clear / Reset

All i can think of is

1. Are you online with the plc ?

2. Is the memory card installed ?

edit:

3. Perhaps the memory card is empty ?

The 'File' -> 'S7 Memory Card' option is greyed out because a memory card is not plugged into the prommer, if you have a prommer that is.

As far as I am aware this option cannot be used to delete a memory card plugged into a CPU.

Paul

504bloke said:
So can the MMC not be erased through the plc ?

Yes it can, using the folowing procedure:-

Slot the MMC to be deleted in the CPU.

In Simatic manager switch to Online mode via "View -> Online"
Select the block folder in the Online window.
Select all the blocks in the folder. Right-click and select 'Delete'

Paul

Hi,

It's very important to remember that you can not format a Siemens MMC with your PC. If you do it the PLC will not be able to usit any more.