Siemens S5 Expert Assist Req

mrtweaver

Ok in a previous post I mentioned about having S5 and trying to load the software. A poster gave me great advice and a link to download the S5 7.25 from siemens. And my first thing is I want to thank that poster.

I did find out that our IT dept did have the 7.2 version so that I could use the 7.25 update. The version I origionally was trying was 7.11. Both 7.11 and 7.2 are full versions not upgrades.

Now I did at first have 7.11 installed on my laptop. And I then installed 7.2. The tried the update.

The problem is when I try to run it on my laptop I get a NTVDE crash. I know this stands for NT Virtual Dos Environment.

So I first tried to install the software on the company desktop, I only installed the 7.2 and then the upgrade to 7.25 and it worked.

So then i borrowed my daughters laptop, she is running XP Pro same as mine. It has the same hardware and all of the same basic software. I did this so I have a backup system to use if mine crashes. Anyway I did the install on her system and again it worked great.

So that makes me wonder if something was left behind in the 7.11 install that is causing it not to work. Should I have done some sort of uninstall of the 7.11 before installing the 7.2? Did the 7.11 place something in the registry or in the system32 folder?

I dont know I have not used the siemens s5 before. this is the first time I have tried to use it.

I also dont know if I need to have the origional program files for the S5 or if I can attach to the PLC and download the program.

So anythings anyone can provide regarding this would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks and have a Happy Holidays and Merry Christmas

I also dont know if I need to have the origional program files for the S5 or if I can attach to the PLC and download the program.

So anythings anyone can provide regarding this would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks and have a Happy Holidays and Merry Christmas

You can connect and look at the program in the PLC and save to your PC without having the original program, you will need a S5 TTY converter to connect to the PLC.
However you will not have any comments etc - these are not stored in the PLC.

Merry christmas

I just looked at the locations as specified and I do not have the security update that is said to cause the problem. So I dont think that is the problem on mine.

I am thinking it is because I installed 7.11 and when that did not work, i then went to IT dept and they did have 7.2 and I installed that without uninstalling 7.11

Just my thinking because I have checked all hardware and software and the two laptops are running same version of windows xp have the same security updates. The only thing done differently was on the one i tried to install 7.11 first and did not uninstall it.

Like I said I went in and compared what all hardware was there, what all updates were there, what extra software was there, and all of this seemed to indicate the two laptops were identical.

I am going to do a bit more searching on the Siemens web site and see what I can find.

You can try chainging the compatability mode for S5 and see if it gets any better.

Edit:
Allthough i can't remember what versions i had befor changing employer, i used to have 3 different versions of S5 installed on the same laptop. I simply renamed the folders and used the same shortcut for the main program.

Last edited: