Siemens Sinamics Drive CliQ cables

L D[AR2P#0.0]

Lifetime Supporting Member
Anyone made their own Drive CliQ cables at lengths of 30 to 40 metres - if so, what cable/connectors have you used ?

we have few systems where motors are some 300-350feet away from S120 drives (that is over 100meter). actually motors we used ware with resolver as feedback and each had SMC10 is in the cabinet (customer requirement). cable runs to each motor ware divided into four sections of different lengths plus some bulkheads. when systems ware designed we contacts Siemens to get more info about permissible cable lengths, specially that we ware planing to use very long cables and bunch of connectors. they told us not to not worry about feedback cable as the limiting factor is motor power cable (the longest ones they sell as standard are 50m, anything longer is special). as the cable length increases, so does the cable size and motor module (they have calculator for this). in our case most motors ware oversized anyway so we bunmped each axis one size up. as a rule of thumb (given by Siemens) each connector should be considered as 2m of cable length. Connectors ware initially planned to be standard milspec from Amphenol but in the end was changed to look-alike from GlenAir since they promissed better delivery time (which didn't happen, in fact it ended being a little bit longer than what Amphenol initially quoted but by then it was too late, GlenAir already got the orders...). reason for long delivery was due enviroment, inserts and paint had to be special.

I've tried some local supplier made cables (I needed some very quickly otherwise would have used Siemens cables) for the Drive CliQ connection (Ethernet type connection) between motor modules and at approx 30m and they did not work, 15m was marginal and 2.5m worked. Do you have a spec for the cable you used ?

Any reason why your not looking in to Siemens industrial ethernet cables and fast connect connectors? I havent tried on DriveCliq but should be perfect.

JRW - thanks for the suggestion. The window for using the cables has now gone so panic over.