Siemens Step 7 Classic Station Configuration

It is installed with SIMATIC NET on the PC where the OPC server will be running, not the Engineering PC. It should be an icon in the system tray.

It is normally that it is in the system tray, but it is possible to remove it from there maybe by accidence.
It should also be in the Windows Start menu, but depending on the version and Windows version it may be in one of several subfolders in the start menu.
If all else fails, use the search tool in the start menu. Search for "Station Configurator".

edit: As mk42 says, on the PC with Simatic Net installed.

It is normally that it is in the system tray, but it is possible to remove it from there maybe by accidence.
It should also be in the Windows Start menu, but depending on the version and Windows version it may be in one of several subfolders in the start menu.
If all else fails, use the search tool in the start menu. Search for "Station Configurator".

edit: As mk42 says, on the PC with Simatic Net installed.

Hi JesperMP,

I do see the hammer icon in the system tray, which when double clicked opens the Configure SIMATIC Workstation GUI. I however am unable to find the Station Configurator, when I search the machine I don't find it. Is it possible to just install this component or do I need to re-install the entire suite?

To run Simatic Net as an OPC server you only have to install the Simatic Net part.
To also be able to create a PC Station project you need the NCM part.
Simatic Net can import a PC Station project from another PC.

I would reinstall Simatic Net and NCM completely.

NCM is version 5.5 which is quite recent. It corresponds to STEP7 Manager v5.5-
Simatic Net is version 7.1.2. This is relatively old. Current versions are either v8.2 (based on STEP7 Classic) or v13 (based on TIA). v7.1.2 seems to be compatible with XP and Vista, but not Win 7 or Win 10. Was Windows upgraded on the PC ?

I would try to reinstall Simatic Net.

NCM is version 5.5 which is quite recent. It corresponds to STEP7 Manager v5.5-
Simatic Net is version 7.1.2. This is relatively old. Current versions are either v8.2 (based on STEP7 Classic) or v13 (based on TIA). v7.1.2 seems to be compatible with XP and Vista, but not Win 7 or Win 10. Was Windows upgraded on the PC ?

I would try to reinstall Simatic Net.

I am working on a Windows XP VM that I generally use to program the S7-300 devices in our lab when we have support needs for that driver, which is not very frequently.
So I took your advice and I reinstalled SimaticNet. All I had a disk for was Edition 2008+ SP6 which still shows as 7.1.2. I now have the Station Configurator. However when I attempt to import my XDB file to configure the OPC server I get an error "The XDB import is not possible for the following reasons: This component (OPC Server) is not installed. Also the OPC Server slot in the Station Configurator has a red line through the icon.

I found this interesting as I was able to add the OPC server node to the station. I also did not see an option in the SimaticNet install for the OPC server, nor on the Step 7 install disk. 🔨

Try in the Station Configurator to add the OPC Server manually to a slot.

One thing is odd. In the screenhot in post # 7 I can see that Simatic Net is the "PB" version for Profibus. But since you are running it in a VM, the only hardware that will work (I think will work) is the CP5711 Profibus CP for USB.
Are you really making an OPC connection for Profibus ?
Can you add the CP5711 manually in the Station Configurator ?

edit: Softnet PB can also be used for MPI.

Last edited:
Try in the Station Configurator to add the OPC Server manually to a slot.

One thing is odd. In the screenhot in post # 7 I can see that Simatic Net is the "PB" version for Profibus. But since you are running it in a VM, the only hardware that will work (I think will work) is the CP5711 Profibus CP for USB.
Are you really making an OPC connection for Profibus ?
Can you add the CP5711 manually in the Station Configurator ?

edit: Softnet PB can also be used for MPI.

My goal is to use Industrial Ethernet for my connection, as my objective is to obtain a WS capture of comms from the SimaticNet OPC server with a controller using the S7COMM disector and compare to our Siemens Ethernet driver for evaluation of a rather unique issue a customer reported. I noted the PB version, but I did not see any option when I installed for the IE version so I am scratching my head at this point. All the install disks I have only specify SimaticNet, with no PB specifier. I cant go to TIA portal as the use case is not in TIA portal and I cant assume that comms would be the same for the 2 products. Would I have to buy a specific SimaticNet IE package?

Here are disks I have at my disposal:
SimaticNet Edition 2008+SP2 (older than version shown in message #7 so n/a)
SimaticNet Edition 2008+SP6 (this is the one I re-installed to obtain the Configurator)
SimaticNet V12 SP2
SimaticNET Step7 Professional 2010 SR3
SimaticNET Step7 Basic V11 SP2
SimaticNET Step7 Professional V13 (TIA portal, n/a)
SimaticNET V13 (TIA portal, n/a)

OK, so this has actually not been a working system until now.

Good news is that Simatic Net IE will run perfectly well in a VM.
I would go for Simatic Net v12 that you have, or purchase a new v13, but not sure if either will run under XP. Also the configuration in v12 and v13 is quite different to v8 (actually it is simpler).

As to the versions of Simatic Net for Profibus or Ethernet, at least the license is specific to Profibus or Ethernet. I also do believe that the drivers included match the intended hardware of the Software package.
When you chose to add components in the Station Configurator, I am guessing you can see "OPC Server", "Application", some CPs like CP5611, CP5711, and/or maybe "IE General". It is "IE General" you will need. If "IE General" is not there I am guessing it is because of the missing install.

OK, so this has actually not been a working system until now.

Good news is that Simatic Net IE will run perfectly well in a VM.
I would go for Simatic Net v12 that you have, or purchase a new v13, but not sure if either will run under XP. Also the configuration in v12 and v13 is quite different to v8 (actually it is simpler).

As to the versions of Simatic Net for Profibus or Ethernet, at least the license is specific to Profibus or Ethernet. I also do believe that the drivers included match the intended hardware of the Software package.
When you chose to add components in the Station Configurator, I am guessing you can see "OPC Server", "Application", some CPs like CP5611, CP5711, and/or maybe "IE General". It is "IE General" you will need. If "IE General" is not there I am guessing it is because of the missing install.
So I just got back on this project. I have installed Simatic Net V12, and I have TIA V13 and V14 on the same machine. My goal is to configure my new S7-400 to communicate with a PC station that is running on the Engineering Station VM. I have S7-400 station and PC station configured in the project. In the PC station I have a IE general card configured for the NIC on the VM and also an OPC server configured. When I compile the station I get lots of connection errors. This is not allowing me to add a connection in the OPC server which if my understanding is correct is pre-requisite for importing the .xdb file. I am struggling to find information in the Simatic Net manual for troubleshooting the connection errors. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.