Siemens TP170A communication issue

jmc013

I am trying to extract an existing program from a Siemens TP170A HMI, using ProTool CS. Thus far, I have been unable to establish communication between the desktop computer I am using and the panel.

My fear is that they will not talk unless the HMI is in configuration mode, which is the real problem as the HMI has a non-functioning touchscreen.

Is there any other way to get the panel into configuration mode? Or am I just missing something simple here?

Thanks in advance,

JMC

I have the same type of issue. i have a TI 128 plc that needs the program uploaded and then downloaded into a new TI 128 i have purchased. i am willing to send both units and pay for work done if done correctly.
please contact me @ 513 490 3078 or @ [email protected].
AGAIN I WILL PAY FOR THE PROGRAM TRANSFER AND SEND UNITS OUT TO YOU !!!!!

You did not mention how you were communicating to the HMI. I believe that there is a direct cable connection set up that is talked about in the reference above.

I have looked through a good bit of literature, and have actually already viewed the one you mentioned. It applies to most similar Siemens panels but not to the TP 170A. I really just think I need to get the panel into configuration mode, I just have not figured out how to get it there if the touchscreen does not function.

Not sure that you can put this panel in transfer if set to auto load.
Some engineers code a flag in the plc to place the HMI mode in transfer.
I have been lucky using pro save which automatically went into transfer mode.

Have you a spare HMI? It is quick to change the broken screen which would then allow
You to place in transfer to take a backup

Reading.....

Notice
In the case of the TP 170A, Remote Transfer is not possible if serial transfer is activated.

If serial is selected sounds like you are out of luck.

Don't know if you have tried MPI....... You may be lucky if the engineer set up MPI

Thanks usedplcs,

After my last post I installed ProSave and tried it. The issue then was that it showed my COM1 was unavailable. After a little more research, I came across someone saying that RSLinx is bad about hogging that port. Sure enough, that was happening. I stopped that particular connection, and ProSave put my busted HMI into transfer mode automatically. Thanks for your help everyone!