Siemens Web Server

XxLinkxX

Hey everyone,
I began looking into the siemens web server, Pretty cool stuff. I'm wondering if you have a system that involves a PLC and HMI, can you use the webserver to connect and troubleshoot the HMI as well? I looked into the properties for the HMI and it didn't seem to have the web server option like the PLC. Just trying to learn this, so bear with me. :)

Hey everyone,
I began looking into the siemens web server, Pretty cool stuff. I'm wondering if you have a system that involves a PLC and HMI, can you use the webserver to connect and troubleshoot the HMI as well? I looked into the properties for the HMI and it didn't seem to have the web server option like the PLC. Just trying to learn this, so bear with me. :)

Some of the HMIs let you use VNC to view the screens, for remote control/access. Not the same thing as a webpage, though. I think it used to require an extra license, not sure if it still does.

Some of the HMIs let you use VNC to view the screens, for remote control/access. Not the same thing as a webpage, though. I think it used to require an extra license, not sure if it still does.

Hey Mk, Thanks for the info. I know we discussed the VPN yesterday but I wanted to see if this siemens web server could be a possible solution without using outside VPN support.

Hey Mk, Thanks for the info. I know we discussed the VPN yesterday but I wanted to see if this siemens web server could be a possible solution without using outside VPN support.

Be careful with the security of the web pages on the open internet. Unless you have a firewall in place (and configured correctly), anyone who can access the web page could also try to go online with the PLC. Most of the published security vulnerabilities for PLCs (of any brand) have been related to built in web pages. Note also that the web pages do take up CPU resources every time a page is loaded. This can affect your scan time, so make sure you design your application accordingly. I'm not sure how many users are supported at one time.

PLC web pages are a cool feature, though, don't get me wrong. Seeing the diagnostics and CPU messages is huge, and the ability to have custom user web pages that can access tag data is potentially revolutionary, although also potentially scary.

In my mind, the PLC of the future will be able to run a full HMI from a web page via HTML5, and will also have programming/configuration access via the a web app as well. No clue if anyone is working on this right now, but I assume it's at least a decade out in the mainstream. I constantly hear people wanting to do PLC programming from a tablet, though, and, eventually, someone will give it to them.

Be careful with the security of the web pages on the open internet. Unless you have a firewall in place (and configured correctly), anyone who can access the web page could also try to go online with the PLC. Most of the published security vulnerabilities for PLCs (of any brand) have been related to built in web pages. Note also that the web pages do take up CPU resources every time a page is loaded. This can affect your scan time, so make sure you design your application accordingly. I'm not sure how many users are supported at one time.

PLC web pages are a cool feature, though, don't get me wrong. Seeing the diagnostics and CPU messages is huge, and the ability to have custom user web pages that can access tag data is potentially revolutionary, although also potentially scary.

In my mind, the PLC of the future will be able to run a full HMI from a web page via HTML5, and will also have programming/configuration access via the a web app as well. No clue if anyone is working on this right now, but I assume it's at least a decade out in the mainstream. I constantly hear people wanting to do PLC programming from a tablet, though, and, eventually, someone will give it to them.
I absolutely agree, and I seem to notice the scan time difference with the web server running in the back ground. I assumed their would be a password involved when accessing the web server. although im sure if people are simply going on the web server url it would for sure impact the scan time. In my opinion I don't really approve of this remote connection as it can be an issue in terms of safety. The fact that a system can be function through remote can be dangerous. Imagine an employee working on the station and someone turned it on? These are just thoughts, that go through my mind. Their are always cons and pros though. As far as programming through a tablet, it actually sounds really cool. Although their should be limitations on what it can do. Im sure with projects that depend on quick scan times, tablets may still be lacking in terms of technology. Like you said it would take decades to maybe get one fully functional.